BMW i8

dan_b

A2OC Donor
I expect most of us will have seen the i8 feature on Top Gear the other week? Well last weekend I saw my first i8 "in the carbon" so to speak, in my local rugby club car park!
I have to say when you see one up close they are extremely interesting to look at - very low, very wide, and the sculpting around the rear 3/4 area is really quite sci-fi looking!

I'm often seeing i3s and Teslas round my way these days, plus one or two Leafs, a Zoe, a Twizzy and an Ampera. Obviously they still stand out by their rarity, but it is interesting to see these new cars on the road.
I also saw my first A3 e-tron yesterday, but it looks so unremarkable you barely notice - only spotted it because of the badge on the boot. 20150222_095432 (Custom).jpg20150222_095454 (Custom).jpg

Cool. Yes, I saw Jeremy's test of it on TG. The whole 'drive faster to save fuel' thing was obviously a load of misguided nonsense, but it appeared to go down well. That he only got 31mpg from it is hardly surprising given how it was driven.

Tom

It reminds me a little of an R8 body shape (apart from the front of course).

Steve B

That's a very good point - to actually get 31MPG from a car as quick as that when it will have had its backside literally driven off by Clarkson is no mean feat.
Unlike the R8, the i8 has 4 "seats".

The other day there was one parked near my studio. I truly admire the complexity of the bodywork and some amazing details like this one....

IMG_8646.jpg

The other day there was one parked near my studio. I truly admire the complexity of the bodywork and some amazing details like this one....

View attachment 18107

Yes, the manufacturers have finally decided that electric cars CAN be stunning and not just utilitarian!!!

Come on Audi, lets see an electric A2 we can be proud of.

Steve B

I'll stick with petrol/diesel until they can make an electric car with 4/500mile range that can be 'filled up' in less than 5mins otherwise the electric option just doesnt work should put more into developing internal combustion than trying to run a car on batteries

I'll stick with petrol/diesel until they can make an electric car with 4/500mile range that can be 'filled up' in less than 5mins otherwise the electric option just doesnt work should put more into developing internal combustion than trying to run a car on batteries

I think that you will be waiting a while then.

Speaking of electric, all of the circuits blew in our house, I asked an electrician to fix it, he refused !!!!

Boom Boom.

Steve B

Mr Birchall; I thought you might be cable to tell a better joke than that! I'm currently... Unimpressed with the standards up to now... It's not too late to rectify... Ahem... The situation; you might just make it; under the wire...

we had the press cars at the airport last year.i8,i3 and an electric scooter @ 16 grand I will be giving it a miss.

Mr. Gabriel (at the wheel) said he paid 98K for his. 1383409_10152455769538016_3964205344944652429_n.jpg

Or, for the same amount, you buy something like 24 A2's :)

Last edited:
Back