Boot full of water

SimonT

Hi all,

I'm also a recent convert to the A2. I haven't figured out how to send new threads (if anyone can help that would be appreciated) hence tagging on to this one!

I seem to have a problem with condensation in the car. Today I folded down and tumbled forward the rear seats and there was loads of condensation on the bottom of the seats and the carpet was soaking. I then had a look in the boot and found water sloshing around - obviously concerned as there's a host of electrics/ and the underfloor compartment houses the BOSE sound system. I've managed to sponge quite a bit out but there's still some in there. Also the boot electric release is activating randomly!

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
I'll be calling Audi in the morning. This is the first issue I've had with the car - I hope it doesn't spoil future ownership of an otherwise cracking little car.

Cheers,
Simon:confused:

Hi Simon
Welcome to the A2oc
There have been a few reports of water in the boot over the years so here are a few possibilities (1) Rear light unit seals (2) Displaced sealing bung on floorpan - there are several (3) battery breather pipe seal where it goes through boot floor. Not sure what to suggest regarding the boot release. Please let us know when you get them fixed.

To start an new thread, click on forums in the top tool bar. This gives the full list of sections. Click on the most appropiate and either use an existing thread or start a new one.
You can also check out old threads by going into search in the top tool bar and typing in key words eg. water in trunk or water in boot. If you find something appropiate which is not Closed, add to this rather than starting a new one

Cheers Spike

Hi Simon

I had the same problem. The guys I've bought the car from said it was a common A2 problem, and they had seen many times before. The problem is the rubber grommet beneath the light clusters. I solved it with some silicon after removing the bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've booked the car in with Audi. They said they'd not heard of the problem before - I guess they would say that! I'll pass on the comments you've sent - Thanks guys

Well if this is a common problem I have never heard of it. I dont get water in the boot. Any other members had this problem or am I just lucky not to have water in the boot.

Problem solved. It was the grommit beneath the light cluster (passenger side) as suggested - many thanks. The car needs to go back though as the Audi garage have messed up putting the bumper back on - the panel fit is now terrible.

SimonT said:
Problem solved. It was the grommit beneath the light cluster (passenger side) as suggested - many thanks. The car needs to go back though as the Audi garage have messed up putting the bumper back on - the panel fit is now terrible.
Im gonna have to watch mine when it goes in as my rear bumper has to be removed and resprayed after some
s****y ****
ran into the back of it fingers crossed that its gonna come back ok...

The mechanic I spoke to said it was a pig of a job - he had to remove and refit 50+ screws, the wheels had to come off along with the inner wheel arch trim etc. I don't think he's looking forward to my return! I was surprised they thought I wouldn't notice the poor fitting. I guess they thought I'd notice when I got back home then it would be difficult for me to prove ...

I also asked for a quote to retro-fit cruise - will post info on that when i get it as it seems a popular thread even though no one seems to have a definitive answer!

QUOTE=wooly A2]Im gonna have to watch mine when it goes in as my rear bumper has to be removed and resprayed after some
s****y ****
ran into the back of it fingers crossed that its gonna come back ok...[/QUOTE]

Hey Wooly sorry to hear that, I've also had a minor altercation thats left a nice short crack along the rear bumper. :( I can't tell if its cracked the bumper or if its just the paint work. I'm hoping not or it'll be mega bucks.:( Are you getting Audi to do it or is it an independant garage?

Its really annoying that bumpers don't do what they're designed to do, i.e take small nocks. These days you need bumpers to protect the bumpers!!

Last edited:
Checked the boot again last week and found more water. Sent the car back into Audi for investigation, and they say water is coming in through a seem. Apparently when the aluminium panels are pressed they should also have sealant in place to guard against leaks. Car booked into the body shop for 3 days next week. Not happy as it sounds like they'll have to remove loads of trim including the roof lining. Has anyone else ever heard of this problem?

Back