Both remote controls won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ghau

Hi,

Recently I took my Y-reg A2 1.4 SE to Toyota for repairs to the suspension, having bought the car from them and still covered by a 12-months warrantee. However, when the car came back, the remote doesn't work anymore. I tried my spare remote (which used to work), and it wouldn't work either! The guy at Toyota used to work for Audi, and he said that if the code is lost, you could reprogram the key using the spare key (it is also mentioned in the manual). We followed the procedures, but to no avail. Toyota then suggested that the code on both keys may be lost, and suggested that I take the car to Audi for re-coding, paid for by Toyota.

However, Audi tried re-coding both keys and the remotes still didn't work, and they suggested that maybe both remotes are dead (they are with new batteries). Toyota has agreed to pay for the 2 new remotes, and hopefully sometime this week I'll take the car to Audi to have it done.

The thing which baffles me is that why would both my keys fail over the weekend (and the spare is in my house) when the car was with Toyota. Sounds more like they did something to the remote control system/transmitter while repairing the car. I guess I'll get the answer later this week. I would really like to hear from anyone who has experienced something like this, or have some knowledge of the remote system to shed light on this.

That is not the end of my woes. I could still operate the alarm system by turning the key. However during heavy rains last week the alarm system seems to have developed a mind of its own, coming on suddenly while driving (and refusing to turn off), and going off immediately when I lock the car. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

cheers
George

We had a similar problem with both remotes failing/going out of sync on our VW Lupo GTi ~ one of our keys was the "spare" in the house. Local VW dealer couldn't re-code them and had to supply two new keys and change the blades over.
The jobsheet/invoice they gave me (but, it was FOC for me) was for £184 + 1hr labour!!
Good job Toyota are paying as Audi prices are almost certainly higher!
Sorry, no real explanation.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, 2004 grill, Tinted Security Glass (+Road Angel)

I had this problem, luckily under warranty. One key fob would not work, the spare did, I took it to Mr Audi who, after playing with it told me that now none worked. They had to change
the ECU, expensive (for them).
Maybe someone swore at your ECU and its gone into sulk mode! Happily for your Mr Toyaota pays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back