Brake Disc Screw Head Mangled

Hi,

Anyone got any tips for a remedy on this one. Can't get the damn thing out. I've been looking at a screw extractor but not sure it will work on this application.

This must have happened to someone on here before. Any ideas?

Hi I drilled mine out as the same happened to me used a countersunk bit first for the head and HSS drill bit 5mm for the rest its about 12mm long if I remember

Screw head

Hi there use a drill big enough to take the head itself off,leaving the body intact.Take the drum off and use a pair of vice grips to remove the body.It should be fairly easy to come out.If it breaks you can either leave it as the wheel studs hold the drum firmly in place or buff the broken off stump flush and drill and tap and fit a new one.:D

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I don't have a very good drill and I doubt it would have been up to the job. I went to B and Q and got a heavy-headed hammer and chisel (took a gamble against buying an expensive drill). Did the job nicely. New brakes/pads fitted. Just need a new screw for each side. I didn't have to use the hammer/chisel on the second side but the screw was still pretty mashed up so I binned it.

Last edited:
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, but for anyone having such probs in the future, the answer is to take a centre punch and mark the damaged screw head on the outer edge and then keeping the centre punch seated in the screw, hit the centre punch with a hammer and 'work' the screw anti clockwise until it comes out easily.

Worked every time for me when I used to run my own garage business.

Back