Brake Fluid

My A2 has been giving me the Brake System (!) warning symbol occasionally. Especially if it's been parked nose down or on long downhill stretches ?

I think it's just the brake fluid needing topped up, I think its easy enough to do myself judging from the manual. Is the system pressurised or can I just open the resevoir and top it up ?

Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the garage and pay them to do it !

Thanks for any advice !

You can just open and fill it, the reservoir is under the bonnet which you will have to take off, just make sure the car is on level ground first, I'd be surprised the level has dropped that much, normally there is sufficient in the reservoir to alow for brake pad / shoe wear, are you sure there isn't a leak somewhere?

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike,

I've had the bonnet off (on the flat, engine/brakes warm) and the level of the fluid is OK, just below the Max, and well clear of the Min.

I've looked through the manual and the service records and I can see that the fluid hasn't been changed since I've had it (nearly 3 years) and this ought to be done every 2 years according to the book.

Think I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and nip into the dealers. It'll give me a chance to size up an R8, if the Mrs will allow me !

cheers

See if there is anyone up your way with VAGCOM who can do a quick scan for you, the brake symbol can actually indicate a number of problems, on my A4 for example whilst cleaning the inlet pipework I forgot to reconnect the pressure sensor and the abs light was showing! Just a thought before you spend cash at a stealer
Mike

Back