Brake Pad Sensor Replacement

omar

HI Guys

On my recently bought 1.4 tdi the brake light was on in the dashboard so i bought new pads and as my mechanic went to fit them he realised they did not changing at all. After closer inspection it was aparent that the sensor clip wass knackered. Problem is not only is the clip on the one connected to brake pad knackered (which i can replace with the new set of pads i bought) but also the wire wear the above connects to ?

I need to get a new one !

Do i have to get this from Audi or will i be able to get this from somewhere else like Euro car parts ?

Also will have to get the whole wire or can i just get a replacment plastic plug end etc ???

Please help
:(:(

Depending on how bad the wires are corroded, you might have to get a full loom and have it sliced in to the engine bay.

PM Drakey70 or Trufflestu for more details, as I've recently helped the pair of them with exactly the same problem.

Cheers,

Mike

Omar, if you want me to replace the wiring loom, please get in touch. I have done this job before and can easily do it for you.

Cheers,

Mike

If I have undestood, one of the wire going to your pad sensor is corroded. I had the same problem. It was a yellow one, going to ground, the other is red. What you have to do is to take a good negative point (just like one of the two hexagonal bold behind the shock absorber) and replace the yellow one with a new going from this point to the pad. When in contact with the red one, the light is off, and the pad is OK. What I wonder is why this wire is corroded, and not the other !

Jwen, whilst I admire your make do spirit, what you do is make a proper repair and if this means replacing the whole loom and making good in a clean and protected environment, then this is what you should do.

At £30-odd plus time to do the repair, it's hardly going to break the bank and you know what they say: If a job's worth doing. . . . . . "

Cheers

Mike

In fact, if you are not a handyman, you do as you feel it. But I think there is a problem with this loom, so I prefer a definitive (and clean) solution, instead of replacing this loom every time it will be out.

Cheers,

The only problem with the brake wear indicator loom is that people forget to disconnect it while changing the pads.

Cheers Spike

Like Spike says, there's no problem with the loom, nor with the connector to the pad itself, so as long as you pay attention to what you're doing and do things in the correct sequence, there's no problems to be had and certainly no need to replace the loom every time you change the brakes.

The definitive solution (and the cleanest!) is to repair the loom as per factory standards, not to bodge it by running wires to earth points.

This is regardless of whether you're a handy person or not - if the electrics in your house failed, would you just bodge some repair, or have it done correctly?

Cheers,

Mike

Back