Brake pads/ shoes

dan_b

A2OC Donor
I'm reckoning I'll need to replace the front discs and pads fairly soon, and might as well do the rear shoes as well.

I've long been a fan of Ferodo DS brake pads - especially the DS2500 pad which I used to run on my S2 and A4 which are awesome pads, but they don't seem to do in an A2 fitment.

I found this supplier selling the DS pads in what they claim is an Audi A2 fitment, but it doesn't look like it has the pad wear cable - does anyone know about this?

http://www.passionauto.co.uk/produc...e-front-brake-pads-for-audi-a2-a3-fds1398.php

If not, is it possible/straightforward to re-use off the previous pad?

Also can anyone recommend any decent rear shoes, and front disc supplier?

Do you really need 'performance discs and pads' Dan - or is it a cosmetic thing?

Thew Mintex set that Skip recommended have been on Ada for nearly a year and they are first class, no complaints whatsoever. I gave the hubs a quick paint with Hammerite before they were fitted and still look like new and stop Ada very well. Theres and eBay trader just down the road from Mike that sells the front set for £45 + postage. Cant recommend rear stuff though. Whats a brake drum ? ;)

Hi dan b
The pad wear indicator wire cannot be retrofitted to discs without this feature.
A few club members use Brembo Max front discs with Pagid pads from GSF (including me) https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/basket.asp and are very pleased with them -
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=65775&postcount=8
The rear drums (or discs) contribute very little to braking performance so its pointless buying 'special' shoes. If I ever need replacement rear brake shoes I'd look for Pagid parts as their quality is superb

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Well it's because I don't think the brakes are really good enough in terms of absolute stopping power: I'm not totally happy with the stopping distances when the car is travelling at motorway speed (especially with weight in the car - ie. passesngers), but at the moment I don't have the budget to re-engineer with a bigger brake upgrade such as Skipton has taken on.
I'm not after "performance looks", but just better performance. I don't believe there's much you can do with the disc in any case if you're keeping it the same diameter and thickness. Better performance can be gained from a better pad that has higher coefficient of friction and higher upper temperature limit (and a more consistent performance at the higher temperatures).

Disappointed you can't retrofit the pad wear cables, is there a way to disable them?

Dan

Disabling is very easy to do: The indicator light comes on when the pad is worn down breaking the embedded wire. Just pull out the wire from current brake pad and just join (a wire connector box is good for this) the two ends of the wire together and tape around the strut.

But I imagine you know this. Did you disconnect in another way?

Neil

HI Neil
Thanks - So I can install the new pads and just effectively short-circuit the brake pad warning light?
Not I've not done that before as I've not done a brake pad replacement on the A2 yet.

Back