Brakes

m i k e

Hi, i'm currently looking round to improve my brakes a bit, was thinking something along the lines of drilled/grooved discs, EBC greenstuff pads and some new shoes for the rear, it's an A2 SE 1.4 petrol '02 plate. Thing is i'm having problems finding places on the net that area cheaper than places like eurocarparts which are just round the corner from me. Does anybody know of any good places on the web for parts like these?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike
I fitted Brembo grooved discs with standard pads and have been very happy with this set -up. I think greenstuff pads have a higher friction coefficient and should offer even better bite without being too aggressive on the discs.
I bought the discs from GFS (you can get a better deal from them if you have our Club Discount card) They don't actually list the discs for an A2 but they are the same as some of the Golfs and A3's.
The Brembo p/n is 09.7011.75 and the GSF ref is 60180F. German and Swedish are currently selling them at £64 pair, probably post free and with extra discount for A2oc card holders
http://catalogo.brembo.it/eng/bmax/intro.htm

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I have fitted gereenstuff pads and EBC discs from brakes4u, first set of pads were worse than the standard set although the MPG improved substatially!! brakes4u did thier bit and sent me a new set out. what a diffrerence I can now outbrake most into roundabouts on fast dual carriageways. I would recommend this upgrade.

I Was thinking of upgrading my Discs and pads soon as they
where a little low on the Mot I Would like to go for the
Brembo Discs and greenstuff pads .......

I Was wondering if this combination would be to fierce ,
is this classed as a modification will i have to notify my
Insurance Company also would this upgrade effect the
ABS in anyway at all !!!!!!!!!

Hi wooly

I planned to use the Brembo / Greenstuff combination myself but changed my mind when a set of genuine VAG pads came up on e.bay at a bargain price.
I have read nothing which suggests this combination would be too fierce but it would do no harm to discuss this with the brake pad supplier. I also don't think the ABS will be affected.
As far as your Insurance Company is concerned, I'm not sure. They certainly get twitchy about any mods which make the car more attractive to thieves and joyriders (spoilers and fat wheels etc) so a set of 6 pot calipers and big discs may need to be declared but anything near standard spec should be ok

Cheers Spike

You could try Braided hoses this will have probably be most dramatic change to the feel of the braking system.
Although if you actually need brake pads and discs go for that option.
Pads and disc's are good options, but if the Flexi hoses still expand the pedal won't feel solid, putting braided hoses on will stop expansion of the hoses when temp builds up. creating a completely solid pedal almost like the pads are under your foot.

As you can see i can't praise them enough sorry

any idea on how much the braided hoses would cost? Where i would get a set from? and how much of a pain they would be to fit?

Cheers Emm :)

Try http://www.goodridge.co.uk/index.htm

they are the brand i've used on my other cars. Contact them and they should be able to help. Price is usually £35 to £75 depending on model of car, but as they don't have an "off the self set" it may be more expensive. i haven't fitted them to the Audi yet as its still under warranty

If you can source them, prepare a week before you intend to fit them by spraying all break pipe joints with plenty of WD40 or pref Plus Gas

Emm

Braided hoses from Goodridge are a fairly standard mod on Bikes. Did it to my VFR400 NC30 and made a huge difference. Never thought of doing it to the car though.

On the bike the feel and power we're much improved with a much more solid feel to the lever. All/more of your energy goes to the pads as opposed to expanding the rubber hoses which get softer as they get older.

Braided hoses from Goodridge are a fairly standard mod on Bikes. Did it to my VFR400 NC30 and made a huge difference. Never thought of doing it to the car though.

On the bike the feel and power we're much improved with a much more solid feel to the lever. All/more of your energy goes to the pads as opposed to expanding the rubber hoses which get softer as they get older.

spike said:
Hi Mike
I fitted Brembo grooved discs with standard pads and have been very happy with this set -up. I think greenstuff pads have a higher friction coefficient and should offer even better bite without being too aggressive on the discs.
I bought the discs from GFS (you can get a better deal from them if you have our Club Discount card) They don't actually list the discs for an A2 but they are the same as some of the Golfs and A3's.
The Brembo p/n is 09.7011.75 and the GSF ref is 60180F. German and Swedish are currently selling them at £64 pair, probably post free and with extra discount for A2oc card holders
http://catalogo.brembo.it/eng/bmax/intro.htm

Cheers Spike
Just ordered the following from GSF:

60180F BRAKE DISC-BREMBO 'MAX' BO 1.4 / 1.6 / 1.9SDi 98>
64330FG BRAKE PAD SET-EBC GREENST A2 2/01>

Should sharpen up the stopping a little :p

£108 all in with a discount.

I'm just a little concerned about this sensor wire that's been talked about - is it only on the one side, how does that work with the new pads?

Ian

Cheers Emm, worthwhile bearing in mind.

How does this sensor work exactly, do I need to attach it to the new pads in some way? Never changed brakes on a car with a wear sensor before so am a tad confused as to how it actually works.

The pads will come with the wear indicator attached to one of them, just replace the pads in the normal way.

Tip: (remove the plug from its holder on the strut before disconnecting the plug)

Ensure you locate the pads correctly and reconnect the wear indicator of the new pad to the Near Side indicator Female plug (there is only one). Then place the plug back in its holder.

The pic i have on the other thread is from the female part of the connector i tried to disconnect before removing it from the holder.

Emm

JUst out of interest, is changing the pads and discs as easy as it sounds? For instance would i only need a few spanners/screw drivers etc? I wouldn't have to do anything with hydraulics or anything?

Cheers,

Mike

Sometimes you'll need to remove the cap to the brake fluid resevoir, and put a cloth around it to stop any spills getting onto the paintwork.

You might also need some sort of leverage to push the piston/s back into the caliper so the new pads fit. (I use a big washer and a G clamp)

I use a dremel and a small wirebrush to clean up the areas that the pad slides along the caliper, then apply a liberal smear of copperslip grease to the slide areas and the Back (NOT the friction side) of the pad.

Also sometimes the disks stick to the hubs and need a 'little persuasion' in the form of a BIG hammer!:D

Hi Mike
The only 'special' tool required is a 7mm allen key for the caliper retaining pins (which are hidden behind small plastic caps). Ideally you need the type with an integral 1/2" or 3/8" square drive socket so you can torque up the pins on assembly. Don't forget to pump the brake pedal after fitting the pads.
If you have any doubts about your mechanical ability either get a competent friend to help or leave it to the experts.

Cheers Spike

I can almost guarantee that the retaining screw for the disc will be very hard to remove. Be prepared to use a flat headed screw driver and a hammer to remove it. Make sure the surface the new disc sits on is cleaned cleaned and cleaned again, did i mention that you need to clean it.

Emm

Back