Brand New Unregistered Ford Cortina

That's fantastic. Cheers for sharing. I had a thing for Cortinas as a child. My grandfather ran a few of them in the 70s and 80s. Happy memories.

I remember being a little passenger in a few back in the 80's.

Sadly they didn't last long and most rusted away...

Apparently if someone buys and registers it, it could go on a brand new plate! I suppose registering it would devalue it though?

Always remeber my father's sky blue mk5 cortina. It went in for work to ford and they gave him a mk2 fiesta as a courtesy car. He was loading my then 2 year old brother into the backseat with the driver seat tilted forward. My brother pulled the driver seat back and it locked into place with my father's head stuck between the drivers seat and the b-pillar, i've never laughed so hard in all my life!!!

That's some delivery mileage - 92 miles!!

I bet that it'll need a fair bit of work too - if it's been stored all these years without fluids, there's bound to be a rust coating inside the cylinders.

It'll be interesting to see what it fetches, although rare, it's not a patch on the Mk3 and represents the start of the 80's in its design - all lines courtesy of set-squares and rulers with the only curves being the wheels!

Cheers,

Michael

Exactly the same model that my Dad had in 1980. HEW 773W!

2.0 GL marked out from the "L" with velour seats, proper headrests instead of the A frames and shiny chrome trims for the steel wheels! And tinted glass.

I know, I know, somehow I just seem to remember!

I bought one of the last mk5 Cortinas brand new in 1982.

Within three months I had put a 2.8 injection engine in it and some nice ford alloys.

I just can never stop "tinkering"

Steve B

I used to work in a ford dealers and drove many of them.
Favourites were estates bought by many a jobbing joiner, they didnt stay in my hands for long as people loved a good pinto.
Fav I suppose were the run out crusader models,Ghia/S models.
Amazing on a roundabout and setting the points with a fag packet was Brill.

main mod done in our garage was a Sierra 5 speed box,chassis leg took a mash hammering though.

Last edited:
I remember the Mk4 Cortina,s well - within a short space of time the bottom of the front wings would rot, become detached, and you could hear them "flapping" in the wind as you drove along. Lately these old Fords - which we thought were smelly old rot boxes - are commanding very high prices !.

Does anyone remember the traumatic experience of driving up behind a Ford Orion ?. Despite turning off the air vents in your own car, and wearing a surgeons mask, you could still smell the lovely rich aroma of burnt four star fuel !. :)

I suspect as that article was written in 2012 that the car has already been auctioned.
Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 19.00.41.png

Back