breaks (lack of)

Apart from another coil pack failing, the breaks have decided to stop working. They've gone hard as if you have the engine off and no vacuum. Surely they arn't related? Car is a 2002 1.6FSI which I assume has a standard breaking system. It is going to Audi on Friday, but any known problems with the servo / system??

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

If you don't have any warning lamps on (ABS) then it sounds like the brake servo.
I don't recall anyone reporting servo issues in the past so it is not a common problem. Sorry we can't help but let us know how you get on.

Cheers Spike

I have the same problem with my A4 in cold weather, they still work but you have to push bloody hard on the brake pedal,

My garage found no faults when they tested the pump and one way valve, it's happened several times, very scary, I know now when it's going to happen, the brake pedal doesn't return with it's usual 'thunk' to the top of its travel then they brakes go awol!

I'll be very interested on what Audi find, the only thing my garage said was to change all pads & discs, this has been done but it hasn't been cold since so I don't know if it's fixed the problem, personally I doubt it because neither pads bor discs were exceptionally worn

Oh and VAGCOM doesnt show anything out of the ordinary

cheers

mike

Hi Jonathan, the coil packs at least should be changed under warranty the guarantee for these was extended to 5 years by Audi.

Hope you find a simple cure for the brakes.

Hi Logical,

I think you are spot-on with your guess at the Servo (Or the systems which power it!); I have similar problems with various diesels in the past; they do not have the vacuum in the inlet manifold to power a servo in the usual way, so use a small mechanical pump to provide the "suck". If those go wrong, the pedal goes very "hard"- no give at all, and the brakes still work OK, if you can push the pedal hard enough!

The TDi's presumably have this type of system, but I guess the FSi has the conventional petrol-type system?

My A2 is a TDi, so I can't check.

I have heard of similar problems on Audi 200s (my other car!) but they have an even odder system.............

ScotAlan

Yes my TDI has this system, also provides power in some way to the fuel pump!

ScotAlan, did you find the problem was particularly bad in colder conditions and comes and goes?

Your previous experience could just save me a small fortune in either repair of possible car damage.
cheer

Mike

Dear all,

Many thanks for the replies. The problem was a split hose at the bottom of the engine which caused the engine vacum to fail. Hence rough running and no brakes. Total cost was 60 quid for the part, but two hours labour to fit owing to it being a complete pig.

At the same time, Audi fixed a problem with the throttle body which AMD picked up during the re-map (God I'll miss the team in Bicester). Anyway, £700 quid later but the car has a new lease of life! Its actually rather quick with its extra 15 bhp.

Thanks for the note about the coil packs. I bought two new ones last year from Audi who fitted them in December. Should I go and get my money back on the parts??

Best

Jonathan

Hmmmmm! may not be my problem then as my brakes intermitently fail, been okay since the last sub zero spell, I may have a look to see if I can see a pipe at the bottom of the engine, you don't have any idea what the part number was so I can track it down, afterall the 1.4tdi is 3/4 of a 1.9tdi I'm reliably informed, by that I mean the layout and dimensions, not the working bits!

Cheers

Mike

Back