Buckling Wheels and ARB Faults

Have you experienced problems with 17" OE wheels or ARBs, or both?

• Total voters

Skipton01

Admin Team
Hi all,

In an attempt to find out just how big a problem the issues of buckling 17" OE sport wheels and all anti roll bars are, I've set up the poll below.

Please complete the poll and indicate your experiences, even if they are positive.

Please be honest with your answers - for instance, any wheel will buckle if ridden up a kerb at speed, we're talking everyday driving here!

This is a poll that applies to ALL A2 owners - there are options to indicate whether you have 17" OE wheels or not, so SE, base and Special Edition owners can and should take part.

One of our great strengths is our collective experience, so we must use this to our advantage. With the data gathered, we may be in a stronger position to argue a case with Audi.

Cheers,

Mike

Good idea. I'm on the cusp of losing my little stubby, cos the service bill is nearing £1900 and the previous owner (who had promised to pay any costs) is now saying it'd be easier for me to just give the car back and get a refund... Audi won't meet me half way on the FARB labour, and I'm all out of pocket :(

Been wanting an A2 since launch... Now it looks like I've found the only thing worse than not having one. Having to give one up... :(

I've owned a 1.4 SE and 1.6 Sport, had ARB problems on both, although both have been running 17" alloys.

audi are (sometimes not entirely truthful)

i trashed 4 17" sport rims in 6 months and audi said "there is no problem with the rims" and "no one else has complained" this is obviously false as proved here. i hope they read this as i was fuming. they should stop making wheels from chocolate.

The ARB on my original A2 1.6FSI was replaced under warranty by the dealer just before the car's warranty expired. It was an SE model but fitted with 17" A2 Sport OEM wheels. I'd taken the precaution of booking it in for an early MOT ~ it failed on the ARB! No problem with getting it replaced under warranty. Dealer said it was a known issue for A2, S3 & TT models.

Two arb for me. One under warranty, less than 20K.

One offside front 17" sport wheel, part contribution. The car handled badly when I took delivery and needed a new wheel and the arb. But as I ran it for a few thousand miles before finding out (my own fault) had to contribute to the wheel. With the handling all over the place I did hit a few potholes hard. Also as a result went through a full set of tyres very quickly.

Fortunatley all is well with my A2 these days.

Huddersfield Audi failed my A2 for buckled rim today...

Well that was my last visit ever to them... Told me I had 3 slightly distorted rims and one distorted and as such failed it. Will get it re tested at a garage that's not looking to sell me rims at Audi prices, amazing after I created a disturbance they offered me 1 rim at half price, afraid I told them where they could fit it.

In theory they are quite within their rights to do that but there are no actual runout figures in the MOT testers manual. Why not just get them rebent straight? We would do it via my company but we are in london im afraid. I found that the balance was always out too unless the wheels were straight which was really annoying

Nothing so far (40k miles), it has just been checked by Audi Stockport during it's MOT and all is fine. The last set of tyres wore unevenly on the front, but only marginally and noticeable at 36k miles, and I have been quoted £180 to carry out a four wheel alignment. I'm going to check out another local garage recommended on here first.

BB

sounds like it would be cheaper to leave it! and just spend the money on tyres. £180 is a bit steep. front tracking should be about £30

I've gone through 3 alloys but the two on the rear at the moment were knackered but I made them roundish (better than they were) with a lump hammer against a3x2 oak peace of wood, they now run smoother and as I just had new tyres on them they seem ok , but i'm alway on the look out for replacement wheels it seems to be my new hobby

The trouble is I have to carry alot of tools in my car which is a lot of weight and some of the tracks I need to go down to visit the places where I work are full of holes and no matter how slow I drive, I always hit one or two holes

The weight issue is also the cause of my breaking woos, and it looks like one of my rear suspension arms maybe leaking gas so will need replaceing will have to ask Mike what he suggest, but I don't want to loose the handling

Sorry I got side tracked yes I have had 3 wheels buckled

just fit some konis
that will cure a lot of the problem
have a spare wheel if you dont have one already and just put it on and send the bent one away to be straigtened when it is bent (our co. could do it 4 about £50)
bit like underwear
one on one off
watch hitting it with a hammer as a shock load can crack the rim

Victory for the little man...

Well for the cost of a letter to VOSA regarding my MOT fail and subsequent pass the following day at another testing station I was invited to Huddersfield Audi on Thursday by VOSA where 2 of their inspectors did the full test again with the resident dealer tester. Their opinion was that the rim that had been failed should have attracted an advisory notice and not a fail! The dealer is refunding me the cost of the test...

Glad to hear you had some small recompense...the sad thing is that nowadays you can only rely on (business) people to be unreliable...

I always take my cars to the local council MoT test centre where they test all the local authority vehicles - they may follow the rules rigidly (ultimately better for your safety) but they are also not trying to sell you extra parts or servicing you don't need. Your council MoT test centre may be part-privatised or outsourced like mine is in Croydon, but the same principle applies.

Back