Bump stops need replacing - worth to do more work?

tigas

Hi. The shop just told me my front suspension stops need replacement. Does the replacement involve enough work-hours to make it worth to do other things to the suspension (e.g., mounting FSDs?)

Hi. The shop just told me my front suspension stops need replacement. Does the replacement involve enough work-hours to make it worth to do other things to the suspension (e.g., mounting FSDs?)

Most people have problems with the rear bump stops - which is a fairly easy job as you don't need to disturb the springs. Changing the front bump stops invloves probably 90% of the work needed to fit new shocks and top mounts so its definitely worth fitting FSD's etc at the same time.

Cheers Spike

Thanks, spike, just as I suspected.

I'll double-check if they really meant the front bump stops - I'm pretty sure I've heard correctly, but anyway...

Changing the front bump stops invloves probably 90% of the work needed to fit new shocks and top mounts so its definitely worth fitting FSD's etc at the same time.
I's even say that it involves 99,8% of the work needed to fit new shocks !

The front strut top bearings (if that's their name ??) are worth to be changed at the same time. It is possible that they are still fine, but their life isn't eternal, and they often fail after some years (5? 10? sometimes 15?)

If you fit FSD, be aware that they slightly lift the front of the car. This settle a little after some time though (I have FSD and std springs and it's virtually even front-rear.)

Back to front bump stops : I advice that you get original Audi items. They have a plastic outer ring that clips nicely into the top bearing housing while retaining the dust cover, when cheapo's aftermarket items are just pieces of rubber.

Thankfully for my wallet, it IS the rear stops that need replacing.

I'm already contending with:
a) replacing a cracked front bumper (the crack has almost reached the radiator inlet grille)
b) fixing an oil leak that had my car in "Smokey Robinson" mode at stoplights, got the whole left side of the engine bay splashed with oil and the A/C smelling of oil - the shop said it was a "serious leak", but there was no oil warning, which means I'm having them double-check all the sensors; I hope they were being drama queens and that the engine hasn't suffered, I had just done 450 miles of highway before I noticed the oil smell after arriving home.
c) (another) undertray lost; and a good thing too, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the oil falling out!
d) timing chain and water pump replacement at 114000kms , because I was told when I bought the car at 88000kms that it had been changed at 80000kms as recommended, but it seems I was hoodwinked - and hoodwinked then or hoodwinked now by this shop, I'm not taking chances with something that will scrap the engine if it breaks.
e) Throttle Body replacement - cleaning lasted 4 months before getting back the engine light on the dash.
e) And after all that, regular extended service!

Final score: 2300 euros, for a car I can't sell for more than 5000 euros. :mad: With FSD's it might've rounded up to a cool 3000!

Let's see how the aero wiper handles the winter, and now that finally my bumper attaches properly to the undertray, the car is a lot more silent.

Unfortunately, they've left something unfastened at the back and every time the back suspension works, I get clanging noises (like the door is coming off...) I believe it's a classic symptom of something which I'm going to search the forum for and first thing Monday morning I'm not leaving the shop until it's fixed.

It passed the MOT like this! :eek:

Back