buying advice

biggbn

..having owned over 130 cars and very rarely paid over 500 quid for one!!..i am reluctantly considering giving up my 'bangernomics' lifestyle for my main car and buying somethin modern, reliable and economical....the fact my 16v mk2 golf gti just went bang thru the week has had no bearing on this decision, honest(it was lovely too, oak green, power steering, j reg...aaahh).....i do have slightly eccentric tastes it must be said..i'v had to concede that a honda insight or smart for two really would be a bit selfish..cos only me plus one is gonna get in either..and a 2cv is not really safe enough for every day use....i dont really need huge space cos iv got the a daily smoker still for my dogs etc...and i dont need huge performance cos i will probably always have somethin stoopid to play with...i abhor wastefulness and appreciate good design, lateral thinking and minimalistic styling...the a2, particularly in 1.4tdi form is pushing all these buttons for me...apparently they have real audi quality, excellent cabins, are reliable and are ferociously economical in diesel form.....i have always been a big fan and was amazed to see that you can buy a decent one with fsh for as little as 5 grand or so...i am very tempted assuming funds can be raised....that said i will probably change my mind by tomorrow.....any advice/opinions/experience on these wee cars...specifically reliability issues..it would be a big step for me to shell out real money on a car and i wanna make sure i get the right one...my mate has always had audis and swears by em, whereas i generally end up swearing AT the cars i buy.....any advice gratefullly appreciated.....i cover 3-400 miles a week mostly dual carriageway driving.....??

thanks i will let ya know how i get on...i really fancy one...they appeal to the willfully eccentric bit of me and the hard headed facts and figures part...which is nice.....

My only advice would be to try and get one with a warranty attached as if something goes wrong it may cost more to repair than the average ford etc as dealership hourly rates are high

crb1011 said:
My only advice would be to try and get one with a warranty attached as if something goes wrong it may cost more to repair than the average ford etc as dealership hourly rates are high

luckily i have a tame audi mechanic to hand...thats part of the appeal too.....

Yossarian said:
Go for it! It's the 2CV for the 21st century.

Good analogy. Even the roof on the non-OpenSky models look like the old metal roof 2CVs.

Now, I wonder if I can move the A2's gearlevel up onto the dashboard...

Ben

..i already own the modern equivelant of the 2cv amongst my other assorted automotive rubbish...a 96 daihatsu move....850cc triple, 40 mpg, hilarious handling, totally irreplaceable to my family as it transports EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE..from old washin machines down to the skip to all my camping gear/dogs/family on holiday....i'm sure when you open the door of the wee move, a hole in the space time continuim occurs thus enabling the car to be larger inside than out...it really is hilarious as you all pile out at your destination and look back at the car and think...no WAY did we all just get out of that THING..its tiny.....should i take the plunge and buy an a2 the daihatsu will be staying with us too....no way am i puttin dogs and washin machines in a shiny new(ish) audi......

i love the smart...but it aint modern deux chevaux...only seats two...too wilfully 'trendy'......i really fancy one or an insight but really cant justify the expense for a two seater.....dont think mrs and daughter would be too impressed......i suppose you could make a case for base model berlingo or kangoo with hose out interiors etc..bein modern, austere 2cvs.....??

Berlingo does have a very nice, comfortable 'French' ride quality - so perhaps the analogy fits! We use ours for dog transport mostly..... :D

You are absolutely right. There is no way that you could drive across a ploughed field with a basket full of eggs in an A2 and not break any of them.

Here's one for the phat wheel posse:

citroen-2cv-4x4-3.jpg

This one is even more daft:

main.jpg

You certainly can't compare the ride quality but in terms of innovative engineering the A2 is a better comparison than the Berlingo/Kangoo. For the 21st century, however, I feel much safer accelerating onto a busy roundabout in an A2!

Back