Cam belt needs changing?

emmagater

My 1.6 SE FSi has suddenly started making a sort of whirring sound which 'seems' to be coming from near/around the cam belt area - probably a stupid question but I presume this means the cam belt is about to bid me farewell?

It's nearly due for a new one on mileage and age but obviously if it's making noises, I will be taking it staight for a new one rather than waiting for the service to be due. Is there anything else that could account for the sound or is it definitely the cam belt?

Thanks

It could be the bearings on any of the tension rollers, possibly even on the auxillary belt (that drives the alternator).

Best bet is to get it sorted asap.

Cheers,

Mike

A friend of mine had the same problem on his 1.2 Punto. When the engine was cold at a certain rpm appeared a whining sound resembling a turbo. I teased him for a full month to get it checked out. It turned out to be the EOL water pump.

I'm really hoping it's something more simple - Audi have just quoted £545 for a new cam belt. And as they can't fit me in until Friday, I'm going to have to get an independent garage to check it to tell me if it's driveable or not as the Audi man said if it is the cam and it snaps, it'll be more like £3-4K

If you are in the midlands area, check out Stealth Racing, who own about 5 A2s between them and can do a full cambelt change, water pump and coolant change for a little over £300 all in!

Even Stafford Audi will do the cambelt change for £275, so don't think you're stuck, having to pay that frankly ridiculous sum!

Cheers,

Mike

Unfortunately not, I'm in Stevenage, Herts. I'm going to try my trusty independent garage to see if they can do it cheaper which I'm guessing is almost definite!

question to emmagater!

Unfortunately not, I'm in Stevenage, Herts. I'm going to try my trusty independent garage to see if they can do it cheaper which I'm guessing is almost definite!

Hi emmagater,

I'm local to Stevenage, too, and looking for some cost-effective solutions for my own A2; which local independent do you use and would you recommend them? (I've just found www.marktempestautocentre.co.uk/ in WGC which is quite close ... but as yet an unknown entity)

How did the cambelt change workout?

Cheers

M

Hi emmagater,

I'm local to Stevenage, too, and looking for some cost-effective solutions for my own A2; which local independent do you use and would you recommend them? (I've just found www.marktempestautocentre.co.uk/ in WGC which is quite close ... but as yet an unknown entity)

How did the cambelt change workout?

Cheers

M

Hi,

As mine happened over Chrismas and I needed to get it done quickly, I ended up having to use Hitchin Audi as my local independent shut over the whole Christmas period. It turned out it was the water pump but they changed the cam belt at the same time and it cost £610 all in. I use an independent garage in Knebworth normally (Jacksons) It's a small family run garage and I've used them for years as they're trustworthy and very helpful. But I have found that getting parts for the A2 can be tricky (I had to change the catalytic converter too) and I could only buy the part directly from Audi so sometimes using an independent isn' that easy.

Hope that helps!

Emma

Back