Cam Belt & Servicing Derbyshire Area/ Advice on variable service.

garywoods

Ok guys and gals.,

Had my a2 since august. love it. Solved a couple of niggles based on some great advice from this forum.

Its time for the cam belt and service.

Here is what i know to be true about the car. Serviced twice within the audi dealer network, both times at Audi bristol.

Once at 30,928 miles on the 30/01/2004

and once at 63,695 on 12/12/2005

Audi UK couldnt tell me whether any additional work had been done and suggested i contacted bristol Audi which i did.

The woman on the fone agreed with the dates and mileage but said due to the age of the records she couldnt get exact details of what work was carried out, however did add that at the 63,695 service there was a 'large amount of money spent on it', and suggested that it was highly likely the cam belt had been done. Is this right that they can't look at actual records? or would it just require effort i.e. trawling through paper copies?. Odd that they can see the price..

Ok so im now on 98,000 (it had 93k it when i bought it) and as it will be 4 years since then its time for the belt doing again plus I want to have it done now for piece of mind. Im on variable servicing I think but still showing 9000 miles to a service!. This thing just keep going up and up while im driving! must be too soft on it only once has it dropped when i had a misfire due to injector harness being faulty.

This car was a lease car, lloyds tsb, and during its early life i would expect it to have had full audi service history and it appears to have twice which would put miles between services at around 30k. Now i know the variable servicing can run long, this seems a tad too long is this normal? Any experiences?

Im thinking therefore that with the current mileage I should also service at same time as belt even though im showing 9k left. Dont think this is a problem..

You still with me?

OK so where to take it. I've read the deals from stoke and stafford audi and reading the dealer forum stoke have had a couple of bad posts and stafford generally seems to be ok, im 30 mins from both i live in south derbyshire.

Anyone know of any good independents that have worked on a2's before in derbyshire area? if not i will just take it to one of the above as i think its a good price. I want to be sure if i did take it to an independent that they have worked on A2's or similar before, have the right tooling etc, as i dont want a bodge job and of course i want them to reset the mileage indicator properly on variable servicing which I understand can only be done with the right diagnostic kit.?

Thoughts?, suggestions?, inspirations?... all welcome. sorry for the long post.

Gary

My car is Ex lloyds,
when bought as well as the service History I got a printout of what had been done to the car throughout its life with them.
try and get the same as Mine has its cambelt service detailed on it.
plus wipers,bulbs and anything else!;)

Stafford / stoke audi ebay offer. I had a service at audi stafford, and i'd probably go for a cam belt later

Hi Gary, Here's my comments (I assume you have a diesel)-
I suspect Audi UK would have records of Warranty work and not normal servicing done on the car.
For a car doing motorway miles its quite possible for it to reach 30K within the 2 year limit on 'long life service intervals.
63,000 miles would be a typical mileage for the cambelt change
I'd have the cambelt + waterpump etc changed as soon as practical for peace of mind.
For good a good independent with massive A2 knowledge, check out Stealt Racing, based in the Birmingham area. If you have cash to spare, treat yourself to a remap while you'r there. Hopefully they are not to far away from you

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that spike sorry i should have said its the diesel.

I was thinking of stealth after the good reports from users here, wasnt sure whether they do routine stuff like cam belts etc?

Its a bit further to travel but I know they are familiar with lots of a2's from users here so I could ask

Gary

Back