Cambelt service

mallonej

Enquired about a camshaft belt and waterpump replacement for a TDI at Stafford Audi who have an ebay offer of £275+80(waterpump)=355 inc vat and at Awesome GTI who charge £339.25 inc pump and vat.
Any opinions?

Just had mine done on TARDIS at Bavarian in Hudderstan..... £275 for the lot.
Parts used were Continental.:cool:

SPECKS

Enquired about a camshaft belt and waterpump replacement for a TDI at Stafford Audi who have an ebay offer of £275+80(waterpump)=355 inc vat and at Awesome GTI who charge £339.25 inc pump and vat.
Any opinions?

If your car has a full Audi service history then it would be nice to maintain that by going to Stafford. If not, then Awesome is closer to you and would do a good job. If it was me, whoever you get to do the work, I'd insist on a genuine Audi cambelt kit being used.
Another option is to check if Mike (Skipton01) offers this service. His work is quality and I'm sure he would be less expensive than both.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I asked Mike this very question about my car a couple of weeks ago. he told me that he doesn't do cambelts and waterpumps because he can't do it any cheaper than anywhere else.:(

My car has not got a full Audi service record and I intend to do what I can myself service wise in the future.Spoke to Awesome today and they were very helpful people, they told me they use Audi or OEM kits from continental and daco? Interestingly they had an example of what damage has happened to the plastic impeller of the waterpump,they use a water pump with a metal impeller.

If you're doing it yourself, please forget the other kits and get the Audi OE kit. As to water pumps, Hepu do metal impellers, but they're very hard to source. I got one from GSF last month, but the impeller needed a little modding to ensure it gave a good flow - the casting left a lot to be desired.

Cheers,

Mike

PS Insidentally, most of the impeller damage happens with either very hot coolant or when the coolant freezes and the pump tries to shift ice - the impeller the just breaks up. To avoud this, use a 50:50 mix of Audi OE coolant, called G12+

I'm booked in at Stafford for both - price as above. Already had one A2 done by them and know they do a good job with OE parts that is guaranteed. If there is only a few quid in it I'll go to Audi. All the other work I do myself.

If you want a laugh call Manchester Audi for a quote - I tried to price match them the first time. They told me at the Stafford price it wouldn't cover their labour rate.

Stafford were very helpful on the phone and told me the Audi waterpump they use has a plastic impellor, which is the same as I will currently have.
Is it such a big deal to go for a metal one???

Both types of impeller have their good and bad points.
Metal impellers won't break or spin on the shaft but this could lead to the cambelt jumping teeth or being overstressed if the pump got stuck due to frozen coolant etc. The castings are rough and will not flow as much coolant as a plastic one, unless cleaned up (as Mike mentioned above) Whether the loss of a few percent coolant flow is critical, who knows.

Plastic impellers are optimised for coolant flow. They can spin or break but incidents on A2's are quite rare. The risk would be minimised if the water pump is changed with the cambelt at the specified intervals and the antifreeze mix is up to strength.

Cheers Spike

Tks Spike, it doesn't sound as if the plastic pump is quite so bad after all...from some of the comments on here I almost got the impression it might as well have been made out of cardboard!

quotes

coventry audi have quoted £349 all in for my dads 1.6fsi
according to the website (audi.co.uk) this is a dealer offer on any audi over 3 years old and 2.0 or under!

It says all in??.......I was quoted the £349 by my local Audi dealer yesterday, it does not include a waterpump, which they require an additional £190 to fit !!!

Back