can i use 10w40

geordieA2

I have been using edge5w30 for mu A2 1.4se for 2 years on a variable service. This time i am going to a fixed local garage service and am swapping to comma 10w40 for cheapness. Anyone use this spec? or if not what u use.
?? Ta

If you're that desperate to save £40 or so, please don't skimp on the oil, especially if you're keeping to the variable service intervals - it's just not worth it and you are going to ruin the car for anyone who owns it after you.

Cheers,

Mike

5W will have a lot more protection for cold starts so if you want to put rubbish oil in at least wait until it gets warmer. Winter starts need a low viscosity (the first number). Second number is viscosity when hot, with A2s being nothing special in the engine department either a 30 or 40 would be fine (tweaked engines or track day cars use 50, ie 5W50). I agree that you should always use good oil, the difference in price for 5 litres is £10 - if you want to save money buy it from www.opieoils.co.uk and give the oil to the mechanic to use - even most dealers will use oil that you've bought yourself as long as it meets their spec - I know BMW will.

Back