Can my door pillar switches be repaired?

mowog

Hi all,

Neither of the switches in the driver's door pillar have ever worked since I've had my A2. Finally being in the fortunate position of being able to consider things like how it might be nice to have a working fuel cap release (or at least having time on my hands while replacement rear springs arrive) I thought I would take a look.

The sensor- related switch doesn't move at all, and I can't seem to pry the button out of its frame. This is not a massive issue since the entire alarm system is screwy anyway, and I only have one key and no remote!

The fuel flap button on the other hand just drops out of its frame, which seems odd to me. What also seems odd is that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism inside upon which the button shell might act.

Here is a photo:

IMG_20210719_154044~2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what's missing from the fuel flap button, what's the best way to get the other apart, and if I might be able to use parts from one to save the other?

Thank you! :)

Fuel Flap button

Should have some "prongs" to stop it falling out, you can see where they have broken off. I assume also a missing spring so it pops our after pressing. Consider it fubar, simply buy a new one from Audi, apparently £23, Crewe Audi on here is convenient.

Alarm Button.

Now NLA but as in not bad cosmetic condition worth attention. It is available new from Audi Tradition for €25, but not currently taking orders from the UK,(Brexit), if you can find a way round that.

I have a scrap one I will dismantle in the hope it might provide some insight on how to make yours pop out. Back later.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi all,

Neither of the switches in the driver's door pillar have ever worked since I've had my A2. Finally being in the fortunate position of being able to consider things like how it might be nice to have a working fuel cap release (or at least having time on my hands while replacement rear springs arrive) I thought I would take a look.

The sensor- related switch doesn't move at all, and I can't seem to pry the button out of its frame. This is not a massive issue since the entire alarm system is screwy anyway, and I only have one key and no remote!

The fuel flap button on the other hand just drops out of its frame, which seems odd to me. What also seems odd is that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism inside upon which the button shell might act.

Here is a photo:

View attachment 83074

Can anyone tell me what's missing from the fuel flap button, what's the best way to get the other apart, and if I might be able to use parts from one to save the other?

Thank you! :)
There should be a white nylon part and spring that fits in the inner raised moulding shown in your photo that the cover pushes against to operate the switch.

The wee spring is often underneath the driver's seat when you take it out. I've found two of them in different A2s like that! (Replaced the switch anyway as in both cases they were either falling apart or not returning properly once pressed).

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated! If you have any luck dismantling your scrap alarm switch, Andy, I'd love to see the results.

So.... I decided to take the rest of the fuel flap button apart to see what was going on. Being somewhat allergic to the spending of money, I realised that there was scope for a heroic bodge to tide me over until I can find a replacement switch for cheap.

I attached a couple of wires to the appropriate points on the little circuit board, ran those through the housing and onto a microswitch I had in my spares box, and finally did a slightly rubbish job of making a little plastic plate that I could jam in the housing to hold the microswitch in place. I wish I'd done a better job on the plastic, but it'll do for now, and I'm in a bit of a hurry to get inconveniences like this sorted before we take the car on holiday.

Anyway here is my heroic bodge... ;)

IMG_20210719_190543~2.jpg

IMG_20210719_191106.jpg

How is the car running now Martin?

Not too bad. Still sounds kind of rough if I'm honest, though better at higher revs, but it seems to go OK. Plus I've not had any more running issues so far. I also got the aircon sorted, which (touch-wood) happily only needed a refill.

It is the gift that keeps on giving though. I thought that getting the wheel alignment done was one of the last jobs I needed to get done. Then, while it was up on their ramp I spotted that the clunking noise from the back wasn't loose stuff in the boot or an insecure exhaust, but a broken spring! Ah well, at least that's a nice easy job.

It is the gift that keeps on giving though. I thought that getting the wheel alignment done was one of the last jobs I needed to get done. Then, while it was up on their ramp I spotted that the clunking noise from the back wasn't loose stuff in the boot or an insecure exhaust, but a broken spring! Ah well, at least that's a nice easy job.

That will be the most straightforward job you have done! I may have a fuel switch face you can use, sure i have a dodgy one somwhere...

Wow, hats off '.......mother of invention' and all that. All you need now is a permanent white Sharpie and draw a picture of a petrol pump:).

Little to report on fiddling with my scrap alarm button. Just like your petrol flap button I have the front bit you press, which falls out, and the rest of it. Like you must have done I removed the three screws (T6), eased the front housing over the two pairs of tabs and the two halves separate, no springs come flying out or parts drop out, so it does appear you can separate the front and rear halves with impunity.

Front face of rear half.

SAM_4311.JPG

Rear face of front half.
SAM_4310.JPG

I was flummoxed for a few minutes because I could not fathom out how the front half inter reacted with the pcb. I puzzled out how it must work and eventually it dawned on me I must be missing something. Pleasing I see Ian (Bargepower) has confirmed my conclusion above. I surmise when you press the front face the depression causes two prongs that pass through the T shaped holes to press down on the a springy switch thing that then makes a circuit. All well and good but not much help to you.

All I can suggest is separate the two button halves and you can then try pushing the depressed button out by poking through the holes in the rear face, second picture, not holding out much hope as something is most likely broken.

Not worked out yet what keeps the front face from falling out, simply because it must have broken off mine a long time ago and become lost leaving nothing to study, but I can imagine how it would have worked.

Good luck.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks Andy - that's actually really helpful. Despite having taken the other one apart, it hadn't actually occurred to me that I could take the back of the alarm button and poke the cap out from behind! ? I think I was too focussed on my bodge to make the connection! :)

It did occur to me after I made my fix that it would probably be possible to make space in the button side of the housing for a small push-to-make switch, and then glue the proper button cap to it, thus creating a working switch that looks like it's supposed to. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361934469693 . It'd be fiddly, but doable I reckon.

Back