Can someone identify my fuel filter!!

tourangang

hi, i have started running my cars on Biodiesel, and went a bit wild with the mix, ie too much bio/mineral.

I have now started again, mixing 20% bio to 80 mineral. and then working it up from there.

anyway, i thought i would change the fuel filter, went to local audi to get one quoted engine code amf. took it home - thought that looked a bit big:)

anyway took the old one out well i think its the filter - diesel came out when i took it off.

please have a look at the image and tell me if it is. - the reason im doubting myself, is that it was supposed to be changed at the last service - but the allen screws on the filter were heavily corroded and sheared off when i tried to open the unit up.

the picture is not brilliant - it was took by my 9 year old, whilst i was covered in fuel!!

please help.

by the way the part number audi gave me was 8Z0 127 401B

Hi tourangang

That part number is for the complete filter head assy. If I'm reading you right it looks like you have removed this assembly and not just the element which would normally be the only part replaced during routine servicing.

Cheers Spike

Thanks spike

the diagram attached is indeed for the part audi supplied. But my Car is a 2001 Model, which i reckon is a differant design of filter to the one audi supplied me and your pdf suggests.

could you have a look at the photo i put in the message, and if there is a differance between the old a2's and later ones.

thanks

John

By the way biodiesel is a big no no on my Seat Toledo with the PD engine, to the effect of a big sticker on the fuel flap to remind me, not quite sure why and nobody at Seat will tell me!

Thanks spike

the diagram attached is indeed for the part audi supplied. But my Car is a 2001 Model, which i reckon is a differant design of filter to the one audi supplied me and your pdf suggests.

could you have a look at the photo i put in the message, and if there is a differance between the old a2's and later ones.

thanks

John

Hi John
Not sure if you are already sorted but the earlier fuel filter is completely different as you thought - see pic for more details

Re the question on bio fuels I think Audi's general approval only relates to a 5 or 10% bio mix. Supposedly Audi use a '2GO' option code to identify vehicles which will run on 100% bio without modification.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking to replace my fuel filter for exactly the same reason. Since using biodiesel, I know I have bought some bad batches. Biodiesel is also known to loosen all the crap from your fuel tank and that collects in the filter. Not that I have had any obvious problems with engine power decreasing or anything, but its probably a good idea to change the fuel filter anyway.

tourangang, how's the A2 running on biodiesel. When I say that I have bought bad batches I know this because I was having problems starting the engine when it was warm. I now think that this has to do with the levels of un-reacted vege oil in poorly made biodiesel and the fact that the engine will not be using the glowplugs when warm. Vege oil, I suspect, needs higher temperatures than dino diesel or (properly reacted) biodiesel so without the extra heat of the glowplugs it does not ignite so readily hence poor starting on a warm engine. I would like to know if anyone else has had similar symptoms.
I now also know how to test biodiesel for soap and incomplete reaction and have tested comercialy available biodiesel and found it to be of poor quality (from at least one supplier).
tourangang, I would not worry too much about the % mix that you are using, I would worry more about he quality of the fuel that you are using. Though it may be a good idea to "train" the engine up by using increasing % mixes even if it is good quality fuel.
I just had a 60,000 mile service with no indication that the fuel filter was replaced. I asked to see it after the service, as I assumed that it would be part of the service, but no one at the garage even said that it would not be replaced. :mad:
My A2 is a 52 plate, spike, is that the same filter as the OP? Intriguingly I see that the attached PDF states that there is a valve for a pre heater on the filter assembly. Does that mean that (some) A2s come with a fuel pre heater as standard? That would kind of blow away the theory I have about poor starting on a warm engine if my A2 pre heats the fuel wouldn't it? Or would it just not pre heat the fuel sufficiently to get over the problem?

hi

im training up the ecu on both my cars the A2 is a 30% and my Touran is running at 40% both ok.

The Bio i make is good!!, i tried running the ran on 100% it started ok from cold, but ran terrible, lack of power would not rev to above 3300.

so drained it all out and started again at 20% and up and up.

the A2 is running nicely at 30%, when this tank is empty i will up it to 40%.

you are correct what you say about the glow plugs, bio does not have the same qualitys as mineral diesel. with respect to ignition.

dont believe what the sellers of bio machines say. i went on a course at greenfuel in gloucester, and the owner reckoned he was running this V10 Toureag on 100% without any problems. so i bought a proccessor stuck 50L in my ran and it ran like a pig!!

keep me updated on your bio experiences and i will post them on here as my experiment progresses!!

I put a post on here about my experience with bio diesel some months ago now , i got it from bio fuels uk in sheffield and the hotter my car got the worse it ran, put me right off running it on it again

Cheers Phil

Back