Car wont start P0321 fault code 1.4 TDi

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
I have read the codes on the car and the only one was P0321 "Engine Speed sensor implausible signal" ( what does this actually mean? open circuit? short Circuit? no signal?)

It sounded like a timing issue so i checked the timing by locking the crankshaft and lining up the dowel pin and it looks fine.

It turns over and will fire occasionally when the throttle is depressed fully but the moment it tries to catch and pick up speed it just dies. After a while of turning over the big red oil can warning light comes on despite it being full of oil.

I thought it was the crankshaft position sensor ( down near the oil filter housing ) and have just changed that but it is the same.

I have disconnected the camshaft sensor to see if that works but that actually makes it worse and it will not fire at all.

Tried putting a meter across the 3 pins of the sensors but it only shows about 450 ohms across the first two pins of the crankshaft sensor and no other pins show a resistance whioch i though was weird until i checked it against a car that i know does work ( a 1.4 tdi polo ) and that had no resistance values across any of the pins either so i really cannot fathom exactly how the sensors actually work and what type of signal they are supposed to be sending.

in the absence of any suggestions i will next try a compression check ( how do you do that on a diesel?!)
and to check the continuity of the wires from the sensors to the ecu ( does anyone know where the wires are on the multi plug? )

any ideas anyone?

Sounds like the crank sensor is goosed. Usually it starts to play up - only working cold/hot. Cheers mike
Sorry just re read your post. I see you have changed that already. Umm ........,

David,

If you've changed the sensor, perhaps the next step would be to check the wiring back to the ECU, the attached diagram shows the connections.

Hope this helps.

Steve

View attachment 11543

thanks for the info on how the engine works, very interesting indeed and a must for all A2 owners.

on the diagram it seems that the G28 sensor is pin 102 and 110. how can i tell which pin on the harness is 102 and 110? there are also two connectors on the ECU to chose from
Checked the continuity from the harness to the ecu connecetor and it is OK. its on the small connector two opposing pins about 4 in.

So what exactly is an "implausable signal"?...

Last edited:
Back