Central locking

Jock

Hi all, I have a problem with the central locking on my car (have to use key) Also my electric windows go up to the top and then go back down (about 3-4") of their own accord and the stereo sometimes has no sound. Are these issues connected and has anyone had any experience of this? Thanks

What have you already tried?

Connected? probably not. Maybe.

Electric windows: lube.
Remote: resync the key, assuming you've changed the battery and are very sure it's in teh correct way around.
Stereo? Volume knob may be broken.

Might be the CCU. Might not. Without more information, we can't really help.

- Bret

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried anything yet, I read a post on here about some grommet failing. Seemingly wires go through a hole and there is a rubber grommet for protection but they can perish. I was looking for some advice/help. Please excuse my ignorance, I don't have a clue about cars.

Lots of electrical issues on the A2 are caused by worn out battery. How old is the battery? Is it the correct ampage for the car? Get a good quality correct battery now and save time and frustration later.

A grommet failing to cause all of those? I doubt it very much. When has this started? Battery is a good starting point (it really should be the full size one and if it's still original, it's probably on its last legs). Charge it if you can, preferably overnight.
Battery should really be one that's 74Ah (yes, that's massive, and yes, it's expensive) and don't shut the boot when you change it. 10mm nuts. Remove the negative side first, then the positive and go the other way around when reconnecting.

Volume control issues: it's a "known problem" for some radios, though it generally occurs when it's cold. I'm assuming it's still an original radio at this point; If not, there's probably a wiring bodge at fault and it's going to require a complete troubleshoot.

- Bret

Thanks Bret, it is a new battery. I will check the amps. It is an original radio, I will check the connections. I, probably wrongly, thought that a failed grommet would mean unprotected wires chaffing against the metal causing insulation to fail resulting in wires touching throwing up mad signals. Like I said earlier, I don't have any idea, lol.

Jake

Not a problem. I'd really try and work out exactly when problems happen - is it when cold, when warm, when starting in the morning, or just playing with x....
You're right on the concept of a grommet, but there's none I can think of that would cause this particular set of problems.

Where are you located? Someone might be nearby and able to help pinpoint solutions...

- Bret

I am in North Ayrshire, Scotland. I am going to get it professionally scanned and see what comes up. I probably should have done that first, lol. Thanks for your reply Bret.

Jake

Check your earth cables/connections (all!) on the chassis, always a good source for intermittent problems when they on their way out....

Has the remote ever worked? Do you know how to pair it after a battery change? Do you have a spare remote key? Does the car have rear door speakers?

I don't know the history of the car. I bought it off of a guy on this and haven't been able to contact him since. I don't know how to pair it and I do have speakers on the back door? I have a spare remote key but it doesn't operate the central locking either.

Have you ever been able to lock/unlock remotely? If not then the remotes are either dead or not coded to the car. I can code remotes if they work and are correct for the cccu. I'm in Hamilton.

Thanks for your kind offer, I have messaged the previous owner but I think he must be on holiday at the moment. I am going to get it scanned and see what comes up. I will let you know the outcome. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Pairing the remotes is a easy job provided at some stage they were paired to the car. Get NEW batteries for the remotes CR2032 in each, wipe the battery with a cloth and replace each already fitted. Put one key aside and with the other lock the car with the key. Now with the key in the lock press the unlock button then unlock the door using the key and put the key in the ignition and turn on to warning lights. Wait for about a minute and switch off, exit car and try to lock it using remote, if it has worked put that key away and repeat the process with the other key.

This is the info from my owners handbook

From my A2 owners manual

"Re-synchronising the remote control

~If the remote control fails to unlock the vehicle, it will be necessary to re-synchronise the system.
- Press one of the buttons on the remote control key.
- Insert the key in the door lock and either lock or unlock the vehicle once.

The re-synchronising process should not take more than 1 minute.

Usually one of the 2 methods work.

I've read various ways to do this. I find this way easiest(always works for me). Key in ignition, turn to position 1, turn off and take key out, press a button on the remote.

It is a bit of "magic" involved, each car appears to have its own preferred method for synching keys. Getting the car into "learn" mode is the trick, and the door lock can be the "key" sorry no pun intended. Much like the rest of the electrics that do not want to conform to the wiring diagrams.

Thanks guys, I just tried both those methods but to no avail. I can only assume they have never been coded.

You could start another thread asking if any local member to you can help or scan your vehicle. May be easier to get a local auto locksmith to come to you and either reset or replace the remotes - get a quote first.

Back