Centre wheel caps on refurbished alloy

in9999

A2OC Donor
In trying to identify possible online shops to purchase the lightweight alloy wheels I came across this picture.

https://www.fuchsfelge.com/en/wheel-program/detail/audi-a2-lightweight-forged-wheel-232.html

If this wheel is unique to the A2 I presumed the black centre wheel cap is/was a purchasable item. It would appear not and I do recall another forum member asking for help in trying to identify that particular item. There are plenty of Audi caps for sale but I think they are all 62mm and that size does not fit the lighweight alloys.

In an attempt at a solution I have tried this.

I split the retaining ring from my original burnished centre cap and cleaned the flat mating surface.

On the new (to be modified) cap I removed the clips and bent the ring so that it fitted inside the cap (it formed a good spacer so that the retaining ring sat at the right height). Using a two part epoxy resin I filled the cap just enough to allow the ring to be bonded in place. Admittedly the first time I fitted it to the wheel it came apart so as I had two good clean flat surfaces I super glued them back together. The bond seems strong enough and I have fitted and removed it several times just to test.

thumbnail_IMG_1477.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1478.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1482.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1479.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1480.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1481.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1483.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1476.jpg

To be honest I have no idea how long they will last. They might go flying off down the road,

Last edited:
I hope they do stay put as I think they complement the wheel perfectly. Well done.

TBH the cap only really needs to come off when the wheel / tyre gets balanced so you could stick them in with some silicon which could be removed when you want it off.

I hope they do stay put as I think they complement the wheel perfectly. Well done.

TBH the cap only really needs to come off when the wheel / tyre gets balanced so you could stick them in with some silicon which could be removed when you want it off.
Good point, I don't want mini Audi death discs whizzing down the road!

I know proghound (ian ) is looking for an original can anyone help please ive sold ian a set of the lightweight wheels but I’ve lost one of the centre caps ..??

Bless you Paul, many thanks.

If I could find even a knackered one that I could split the back off, I could make a set of four of these. The set of these lightweight wheels I've bought off Paul are intended for the Storm's winter wheels, so these caps would suit it really well. ?

They don’t look quite as sharp as the new OE ones above but they look so pretty good - and much better than nothing!
Very true, I'm not a fan of wheels without a centre cap, to me they look a bit bare and it's not something I could live without.

Back