Change 1 or all 4 injectors?

iceraven

I still having problems with my 04 FSI.

Lately they have changed all 4 coilpack on warranty but i still get a misfire on cyl. 3.

The garage then checked wiring to each coil. Everything looks fine. They also swapped the coilpacks around. Still misfire on cyl. 3. Conc. its not the coil :)

The next advice is to change the injector on cyl. 3. That will cost me about £730!

For all 4 £1400.

Advice...1 or all 4?

I would move the injectors first - if you move injector 3 to cylinder 4 and the fault follows you to cylinder 4, then you know for sure it's the injector - then you can just change that one.

The problem is that this job isnt that easy (high pressure etc)

And the job is the most expencive..not the parts

They give me a 50/50 chance that its the injector :eek:

I'd change the injector loom first to be honest - there have been instances of failure of this component and it's a sight cheaper than an injector.

Cheers,

mike

Stupid quiestion..what is a "loom" :)

I tried to translate it with clue..didnt give me a clear hint of anything...

didnt find "loom" in elsawin either :rolleyes:

Loom - the bundle of wires that connect the injectors electronics to the car's ECU. There have been cases of the wiring in the "Loom" controlling the injectors breaking down.

Ah..its some kind of "contact/plug/connector" ?

I will tell the garage to check this on monday :)

I added a picture..do i understand it right now?

If this is the problem i will celebrate with a carwash and a hotdog :D

If not..no food for 14 days..

Before you chnage the injectors........ Swap em round as previous poster said and get the garage to carry out a compression test as the 16v heads were a bit dodgy and being a high compresion engine.......!

The car is stil in the garage.

They have been working on it for 8 hours and they have still 6 hours left :eek:

If this dont work the comp. is the next thing to check. As i understand its not that easy to just swap them around like that..

It a hell of a job the mechanic told me.

This week im drivning a new wv polo. Useless 1,2l engine. I actually miss my car now:rolleyes:

Do i miss something here? This engine is not a high comp engine? Its just the fuel that has high comp?

As i understand its a normal "non" turbo engine with a high comp. fuelrail.

Do i miss something here? This engine is not a high comp engine? Its just the fuel that has high comp?

As i understand its a normal "non" turbo engine with a high comp. fuelrail.

Hi iceraven
I think there is a mix-up of terms here-
Non turbo engines generally have a higher compression ratio than their turbo counterparts. The compression ratio (ratio of cylinder volume at bottom dead centre v volume at top dead centre) is dictated by the piston design.

Common rail fuel systems run a very high fuel injection pressure which improves fuel atomisation for better emissions, economy and performance. This applies to both turbo and non turbo engines

Cheers Spike

Ah, i learn something new every day :)

Crossing my fingers now. My car is finish tomorrow..lets hope the new injectors remove my engine management light for good :)

Back