Changing brake shoes, advice needed.

michbelle

I'm about to replace the brake shoes on my 51 plate 1.4 tdi, do I require any special tools or gadgets? Is this an easy job or a pain in the behind? I've never done rear brakes and I'd never had brake shoes until now so I have no idea what I am letting myself in for. What I do know is that no-one loves this car like I do so I am prepared to do whatever it takes to keep her on the road.

Hi,

Well......It's not an overly complex job and no special tools are really needed, but it’s not the easiest task to complete. There are a multitude of springs and retainers that can be a real bu**er to re-fit, and there’s a possibility of some of them being corroded, worn or damaged on removal.

I would advise the following:

1. If you’re happy (honestly) your mechanical knowledge is good enough to perform work on the part of your car that makes it stop when you ask, but remember get it wrong and the car (and maybe loved-one’s) are at risk

and

2. If you don’t rely on the car as your main form of transport and wouldn’t need it to collect any “additional” parts you may need once you’ve stripped the shoes down

Then it’s doable…..If you’re a little unsure with either points 1 or 2 then have either a dealer or a local garage do the work. It’s an easy job for any local garage and I would guess labour costs at about £100 or so and parts costs somewhere at £50-75.

If you do decide to do-it-yourself then I would also advise having a good camera handy and taking photo’s of exactly where the springs live at different stages during strip-down.

Cheers

Jeff

brake shoes were fine, plenty of 'meat' still on them so I didn't change them but I gave them a good clean up. I now think the problem is the handbrake!!!

Hi michbelle,
From what you are saying it sounds very much like the operating lever is 'stuck' to the shoe body at the pivot.
You could try tapping gently to and fro on the lever while carefully applying WD-40 at the pivot until it moves freely but be very carefull not to get any oil on your brake shoes.

Removing the shoes is not too difficult but putting them back in - without the right tools - is a pig of a job. If you do decide to go this way, make sure that the cylinder pistons are secured (they have been known to pop out) even without accidentally pressing the brake pedal :eek:
There is a step by step somewhere on the forum but I can't readilly find it.

Good luck!

Mike
:)

Just notticed spik's link - doh

Last edited:
Back