charge regulator replacement

bretti_kivi

my alt charge regulator appears to be duff. Measured at the battery, I see 14.1V at tickover, the cigarette lighter gives me 13.9 or so, even if I go up to 2k rpm.

So, that would imply that I'm not charging the battery fast enough - and the extra audio system would screw things up royally.

I was going to fit a voltmeter and ammeter (if I can find analogue meters in the right size with a font that fits or I can get replaced) - I'll bring D+ (the signal that charging has started) into the car for the secondary battery anyway.

My question; has anyone changed this themselves? Any tips?

Bret

a quick search reveals taking the belts off (so I might as well do them at the same time) - but has anyone replaced the alternator with something with a little higher output - I'm thinking 120 or 140A?

Bret

Hi Bret
You probably know all this but if your car is high mileage the alternator brushes could also be worn. They are integral with the regulator, which costs around £35, but don't appear to be available separately.
I checked the option codes on my 2001 TDi and it already has a 120 amp alternator with a 140A version being available on some models. Only thing not clear is if the alternator frame size is the same for all.

8GD Drehstromgenerator 90A
8GG Drehstromgenerator 110A
8GL Drehstromgenerator 120A
8GU Drehstromgenerator 140A

There is some Bosch alternator info on this web site - http://ecat-online.bosch.de/toc/

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
hmm. it's a 1.4 petrol, now still under 70k km (so around 42tsd miles), from 2002. I've had the "lights dimming when turning the wheel" since the start, but it's only here that it's become a real issue. I think the last battery was eaten in less than two years, which is a bit rich.

Since the audio system that's going in is also capable of eating lots of power... the upgrade makes sense, but I'm not convinced that it is a straight swap. Guess I'll find out.. ;)

Bret

I took a closer look at the Bosch web site today and found some diagrams of the 90 and 120 amp alternators. The most obvious variations were -
The alternator mounting lugs are different on cars with and without an aircon compressor.
The 120A (and possibly 140A) differs from the 90A alternator as the distance from the first mounting lug to the pulley centreline is 63mm and 48mm respectively.

Cheers Spike

true, but the distance from the rear to the front is about the same (overall length of 172 vs 156, i.e. 16mm difference).

I think I really need to try and get hold of a 120A version (I think one of my friends has one in Germany) and check if it will fit.

thanks for the link, those diagrams really helped.

Bret

Back