Check Strap Replacement

Fiona

United-Kingdom
Has anyone changed a door check strap? If so any fitting advice?

Mines been cracking for a while now and it's just starting to annoy me! I'm sure if I took it to a dealer it would cost a fortune, apparently it's a door lining off job?

Not actually done one, but had it done to mine by the stealer.

Yes, it was a full day job, so a door strip will have been on the cards. I'll take a peek at the manuals tonight for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, it seems a remarkably easy job!

I've attached a diagram to this post showing the pertinent parts.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry for my delay in my reply - thanks for the info Mike. Looks quite do-able, my brother is a grease monkey, sorry I meant Technician, I'll get him to have a look.

Is the door trim easy to remove - and get back on?

Mine too started cracking, I found the pin drops down, pushed it back with a pair of water pump pliers and now is silent, have a look to see if your is the same

When some lousy scrote, sorry, disadvantaged young chap, decided to steal the contents of my A2, of which there were none, he broke the passenger window glass (and damaged the frame). Unfortunately he was not traced so it was impossible to offer him a foreign holiday etc... but I digress.

Mr Autoglass turned out to do the job outside my house, but after removing the door trim,by normal methods they were unable to proceed because they didn't know how, so it was off to the depot. I watched them do it and it was a complete door strip down. They received the instructions from their HO, and it all looked very straight forward to me. It was a Sunday, so I was with the fitters as they did it, not peering through the "viewing area". Laborious, but nothing to tax the skills of a methodical person. If I were my normal fitness it would have presented no problems. So, pick a nice day, in the dry and fiddle away, it took them a couple of hours.
Incidentally if your window glass breaks the broken pieces remain at the bottom of the door forever, unless you take the door off, turn upside down (the door, not you) and shake vigorously. You guessed it, mine are still there, and no, I'm not going to drill holes in the bottom so they can fallout.

Thanks Chaps! I have always said in times of trouble, turn away from the dealer to the nearest forum member!

Talking of that - did anyone see Dragons Den, when the bloke was trying to get thousands of pounds to set up an telephone breakdown advice line? I thought to myself, if you've got an A2 mate, just get on line to the A2OC! They know EVERYTHING!

Fiona, it's true, the level of expertise within the A2 community is quite amazing. I can't remember a problem to which there hasn't been an answer, especially so since our Tech Director (but not only him) appeared on the scene. You would think that with the demise of the A2 Mr Audi would offer more support, I believe that other manufacturers offer some support for non current models.

I'll second hollyrescue's commnts. A couple of weeks ago - whilst trying to get the instrument cluster off to fit my RNS-E Gala wire - I spent about an hour trying to pull the leatherette cover off. The workshop manuals simply said "pull in this direction", I was considering stripping all the lower fascia then gave our friendly tech director a call. He knew exaclty what my problem was, but more importantly, he provided clear instructions on how to remove it. 10 seconds later I had removed it. It's possibly the most productive phone call I have had this year! Thanks again Mike.

Ben

Ben, Dick - STOP IT!!

You're making me blush the pair of you.

I must admit that I do seem to fast becoming an Audi anorak - ELSAwin is nightly reading for me and I am probably more familiar with the innards of an A2 than most Audi Master Technicians (which isn't hard).

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I don't want to be dangerous now do I? I don't know everything yet though - Simon a forum member from South Wales called me today with a problem about a strange noise in the central dash area and I'm afraid I couldn't really be of any use. Sorry Simon, but when you do get the cause from Audi, let us all know and I'll store it in the grey matter.

Cheers,

Mike

PS If it appears that I'm always online, don't worry, it's just that my home server is always switched on and always logged in - I do have another life outside of the A2OC!

Back