Check those hoses everyone!!

datsundrew

A2OC Donor
I think I may have been saved by my new DIS I had fitted by Timmus!
so, during my recent 1600mile trip up North, I have had to top up the coolant on Chad, no obvious leaks except it was wet around the expansion tank and there was coolant on the top of the gearbox. Once topped up it would last a couple of days before refilling. Strangely I have never had a low coolant warning come up??
so yesterday I was off to Aberdare to pick up some bits from Steve ( Thanks Steve Edwards) then to Newport for a party……taking the caravan to stay over. As I was heading up the A46 out of Bath, I remembered I’d not topped up the water, so I select the coolant temp on the display ….which went up to 104 degrees, at which point the dashboard temperature crept just past 90. I pulled over and could see steam, and it turned out to be a pin hole in the bottom hose to the oil cooler, which squirted a jet of water up to the header!!
Not wanting to miss a party, I called home and had some bodgery bits bought to me, and I cut both pipes at the cooler and capped them off, a bit drastic but needs must etc!!
Needless to say, it was fine after and used no more water.
Today I went to replace the hoses with some silicone , and was shocked when I got to see the top of the hoses at the cylinder head, these are hidden behind a steel plate and the engine cover, and cant be seen easily, how the hell these have stayed together and not popped is a miracle, literally just mush, yet the rest is ok.
All fixed now, 19mm silicone hose cut to length works fine, the only thing to watch it that neither hose fouls the gear selector cables.
I used jubilee clips as the silicone is thicker wall so the original clips wouldn’t fit. I advise anyone with a tdi to check their hoses!!!😀😀

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
Yep that is what diesel does to rubber hoses. Now you have found those carefully check the coolant hoses to / from the cabin heater.

From experience my tandem leaked and destroyed the 4 hoses. Bought a reseal kit for the tandem and a set of replacement hoses.....Less than a couple of weeks later the resealed tandem leaked again and destroyed those new hoses. So a second set of hoses and a Bosch tandem pump fitted.

Only the diesels that are affected by this. But if you have a leak DO NOT put of rectifying the problem as it will cost you far more.

From experience my tandem leaked and destroyed the 4 hoses. Bought a reseal kit for the tandem and a set of replacement hoses.....Less than a couple of weeks later the resealed tandem leaked again and destroyed those new hoses. So a second set of hoses and a Bosch tandem pump fitted.

Only the diesels that are affected by this. But if you have a leak DO NOT put of rectifying the problem as it will cost you far more.
It weird, all the other hoses are perfect, and it’s completely dry in the tandem pump area.

That was a lucky escape.

I have both engine coolant and oil temperatures as two of the four or five readings in the lower section of CDIS running all the time - along with boost pressure and something else that escapes me now. When running an older car these two readings are invaluable as fair warning of an issue.

Back