Cigarette lighter

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Having tried to get my compressor to work the other day and failing, I think it's my cigarette lighter. I checked tonight, the surround doesn't light up either when you switch the lights on (all my other red running lights do).

I did a few months ago put in the centre stowage tray (the tray that goes under the handbrake) and as part of that I bought a new cigarette lighter surround (the red plastic bit). I thought I'd wired it all up ok, so is there a fuse controlling that circuit that I can check to see if it's blown? If so which one(s)?

I don't have the cigarette lighter unit itself - not being a smoker I discarded that a while back and replaced it with the Audi LED torch, which is supposed to take a trickle charge from the cigarette lighter.

Any tips?

Check fuse 12 for continuity, but I also suspect that it's not been plugged up fully and has come adrift, especially if there's no surround light when the headlamps are on.

Cheers,

Mike

Hope I can borrow the thread just a bit.
I have a GPS thats connected to my cigarette lighter and that works fine. However I was under the impression that the lighter should not provide power when the ignition is off. It seems that my lighter always has power on. Should it be like that?

Best regards
Erik

would it be ok to butt it on this thread too?

i'm thinking of putting a power point into my boot, has anyone had a go at this? i was hoping, (maybe wishful thinking) that the wiring would be hidden in there... i thought i'd ask this before i blindly start ripping out panels and stuffing.

ta,
j.

would it be ok to butt it on this thread too?

i'm thinking of putting a power point into my boot, has anyone had a go at this? i was hoping, (maybe wishful thinking) that the wiring would be hidden in there... i thought i'd ask this before i blindly start ripping out panels and stuffing.

ta,
j.

Hi J
Its been asked before but it looks like the wiring is not fitted as standard.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5518&highlight=power+boot

Cheers Spike

thank you spike, i'll be ripping out the stuffing when i get necessaries. i've just seen the 12 volt flip out power socket jobbie on vag parts, pretty nice!

I remember my previous A4 Avant had one of these in the boot. Never used it but thought it was a useful little widget.

Cable had come unplugged -easily fixed... Surround now lights up with the interior lights, so I assume it will now power the compressor or anything else plugged into it.

Note for ROLKIN!.

Hi ROLKIN, i have fitted {via Skipton} one of the 12v flip out units, to under the drivers right knee position, so i can use this for Sat Nav (no trailing wires Etc) only 14cm of wire, also use'ful when tyres need pumping up! i use small 12v motor for same, or any other thing that needs 12v,
Cheers, Alan.

Back