Cleaning materials

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I'm preparing for the Audi Driver International 06 meet. Last week I removed and cleaned the wheels and this week it's polishing. I must say that the Autoglym has lastest very well since it was applied by the stealer 18 months ago but probably needs doing again.

I was wondering what folks use to clean the black "skirt" around the A2. The sides and back look like shiny plastic, though it's gone a bit greyish matt where the elements have been a bit abrasive. Do folks use polish?

And the headlights: polish or screen cleaner?

Also, while polishing the door opening surrounds I've got polish on the black rubber seals, the black door linings and the black sill areas. Any suggestions what to use to bring these back to pristine condition?

Hopefully, I will get this all finished in time - after the outside it's a day on the inside - after this meet I think I'll wait til 2008 for the next!

Use "back to black" or similar for the black plastic and rubber. You are all making me feel that I may have to polish mine, it's still full of Wiltshire grit and gravel inside, but 'er indoors has banned me from using the Dyson 'cos I got the cigar lighter stuck up it and it died.

for black rubber seals the best thing I have found is Halfords silicon spray lube.
This stuff is amazing on door seals, boot seals, those rubber cable conduits from door to door pillar and boot to boot pillar.

Do not use it on the dash. I have not used it on the external of the A2, but it works a treat on the hard grey plastic mouldings on my Volvo V40.

what I really want is something that I can wipe on well used trim that will take the shine off it. Does anyone know of a product that I can apply to my leather stearing wheel (128,000m later) to take the shine of use off it.
Also matt cleaning products for dash trim would be welcome.

I use Autoglym instant tyre dressing stuff, does the tyres & you can also use it on the black bits, I did 'eggbert' yesterday and he looks well for it, far better than what the stealer uses after a service!
Just spray on they whip round with a large soft paintbrush ans smooth over it, dries nice and shiny but not too shiny like some of these applications can

Last edited:
chb said:
what I really want is something that I can wipe on well used trim that will take the shine off it. Does anyone know of a product that I can apply to my leather stearing wheel (128,000m later) to take the shine of use off it.
Also matt cleaning products for dash trim would be welcome.
Try Autoglym vinyl & rubber care, nice and matt, alternatley and you may find this hard to believe baby wipes! no I'm not pulling you r leg they really work, I used the cheap boots own brand, collects dust brilliantly!

Last edited:
Autoglym for polish and shampoo.
Back to black for exterior trim.
Wonder wheels for alloys and tyre dressing
Turtle wax "High Tech" interior trim for inner sills and door surrounds, for the dash I use a damp microfibre cloth to pick up the fuzz and clean the dirt, then a light household polish.

For the leather seats and steering wheel Gliptons leather cream. This stuff is ace. Simply wipe down with a dampened cloth, no detergents, allow to dry and then apply. Leave overnight and then buff with a clean, dry cloth. Brilliant and not shiny. And the smell.... Aparantly Rolls Royce use it. Worth a go, CHB, and thanks for the tip to use silicon spray lube for rubber trim.

Right then
Stand by your A2 Ready for inspection !!!!!!!

NOW There's no exscuse for anyone turning up to Castle Combe with a
dirty A2 LOL!!!!!

Sorry Hollyrescue for the delay in replying.

Glipton is made in Todmorden on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border which leads to some identity confusion at times! My brother put me onto it and I used it for the first time as part of the spring clean last April. Call them direct at01706 819365.

Many thanks Mark, will give it a try.
Whilst kicking tyres at a famous Aston Martin/Ferrari/Lotus dealers last year, yeah, just tyre kicking, I noticed that whatever the age of the car, the leather was absolutely pristine and as new. I asked what they used and they wouldn't tell me, they just said "a man comes in and does it". I couldn't get any more info no matter how hard I tried. Perhaps it's just a Norfolk secret (know what I mean Runboy?)

Mark Brigg, I ordered some Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner, it arrived really quickly and with free postage. I tried it first on the drivers seat of the Volvo, because of all 7 seats (Volvo + A2) it was in most need of attention. Even though I regularly attend to it, the kit from Glipstone seems to be akin to the the canines appendages. Thanks for the tip. It seems to be a good site for all sorts of cleaning etc. materials.

Back