Climate control not diagnosable?

Kodjo

HI there!

My windshield is fogging up in the morning although I use my climate control demist option.:mad: So, I tried the diagnose option (recirculation + arrow-up keys pressed) but nothing happens. I can change from Celsius to Fahrenheit and back.

Is this because I do something wrong or do I have an old climate control (late 2001)?

Tia! Kodjo

Hello Kodjo,

I am unsure of what you mean by the diagnosing by the combined button press.

You can change from celcius to farenheit and back by pressing the recirculate and temp plus buttons simultaneously.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi

Do you use the windscreen demist feature with the econ button on (light on)?

Ahh, that old chestnut!

I was under the impression that you were trying to do a full-blown diagnostic on the car.

There could be a problem with the motor for the positioning flap that directs air. Put your hand near the outlet and physically check that air is being blown onto the screen.

If not, or if very weak, then firstly check the cabin filter, as it can severely reduce airflow.

Cheers,

Mike

Still foging up!

So, I went without diagnosing to the workshop. They think it is the cabin filter that’s clogged. I am a newbe here (former car was fantastic Saab 900 16V turbo, 185hp with a/c). I think it is b...t but do not have knowledge myself on this point.

I tried to measure the difference in temp between max. cold with econ button pressed and max. cold with eco off. There is definitely a temp shift between the two eco modes.

I also have a strong airflow pointing to my windshield so no sticky flap.

Can I try something else?

Tia

So let's get this right:

You have a strong flow to the screen and the temperature does vary between hot and cold and there is also a noticeable change with ECON on or off?

If this is correct, and you still cannot clear the screen of condensation, I am at a loss as to what to suggest, other than that the flow might not be strong enough, which as I said before, would point to a blocked cabin filter. I notice that this has been mentioned by your workshop too.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes, you do understand me well!. Lets us hope it's the filter then.

One other question: Is there a minimum outside temperature required for the a/c to opperate? The Saab did not work below 10grC......

Yes, you do understand me well!. Lets us hope it's the filter then.

One other question: Is there a minimum outside temperature required for the a/c to opperate? The Saab did not work below 10grC......

Not really, no.

The climate control is user operable at any outside temperature and you can pre-select a cabin temperature from 18 celcius to about 29 or so.

There is a cut-off temperature of +5 celcius, above which point, things like the heated mirrors and washer jets will not operate though.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Kodjo
If all the windows are misting up and not just the screen then its possible the climate control is not working correctly. As you probably know, in addition to cooling the incoming air, it also takes out the moisture and this may not be happening on your car.
A diagnostic check would show if one of the aircon sensors is faulty
One last thing, I assume you are not running with the cabin air recirculation button permanently switched on as this would add to the window misting problem

Cheers Spike

Thanks you all!

I know about the basics of an CC so I do not use the recircuation nor the ECO button. I also know that the air will dry due to condensation at the cooler. I also have seen in other cars that this works well when everything is damp in the morning .

Mine however does not do the job. Therefore I hoped to get into the diagnose menu in the CC by pushing some buttons. Thats not possible thus I will need someone with a VAG-COM.:mad:

Back