Clutch failing ?

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Is our A2 Clutch failing, or is it the Traction Control working ? If you set off from Traffic Lights enthusiastically I get the impression that the Clutch may be slipping. Just wonder if it is that, or the Traction Control working to reduce engine power ? In normal driving it seems OK. This has been going on for some months now.

2003 ( 53 ) A2 1.4 SE Petrol 116,000 Miles. Only previous owner was Blackburn Audi for 12 Months / 9,000 Miles

Hello
I had both troubles in the past.
When my clutch started slipping, I wouldn't be able to launch quickly from the lights and the revs were higher than normal, a bit like it would if you started in 2nd gear instead of 1st.
After, I replaced my clutch (just before I criss-crossed Scotland), I was stalling a lot before a got use to the grip of the clutch. Then if I was revving to avoid stalling, the Traction control was kicking in. The effect is like turning down the revs and a bit of stuttering. It got better after I got my 17".
Hope that helps.

My clutch slipping was manifest when you put the foot down with the clutch up and the revs would peak and then settle back while the car gradually gained speed. That lack of synchronicity between engine rotation and wheel speed means there were revs not being carried through the clutch. It was obvious when I tried to do it but I managed to drive carefully for months and months with no bother - it would probably have gradually left me struggling to get up hills and with constant slipping but it was a very gradual progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A test for a slipping clutch is best done ascending fast hills in 4th or 5th gear with your foot hard down at whatever speed your engine produces peak torque, say 2500rpm for TDI or 4000rpm for petrol. If the revs suddenly climb then settle back when you let off the accelerator then your clutch has had it. Setting off isn’t “worst case”.

Full LUK clutch kit including the spinner cover release bearing cross arm and top hat was around £125 delivered about 12 months ago from a German seller on eBay They always seem to be the cheapest for LUK
If you find a kit on eBay form something like parts jungle that is Andrew Page and they will price match it in store if you ask nicely )that is where I got the clutch for wifeys mini from a few months ago)
Fitting I would expect to be about £300 in a garage plus parts so with garage mark up on parts then you are in at around £450 to £500. You can ask about providing your own parts but you then open up an owl world of pain if anything was to go wrong with the clutch (unlikely with an LUK clutch)
Worth also changing the cross arm pivot bolt as there is an anti friction coating on it which does wear off and they are only £6 from Audi dealers or Tps
Worth also changing the gearbox oil if it’s still original
Cheers. Paul

OK Ta. The Garage that usually do a good job cheap for me e.g. the Power Steering Pump last week, will no longer fit customers own parts. They said something about some new legislation and it’s a nightmare if the parts are faulty. Don’t think they would tackle a Clutch anyway. They are mainly a Tyre Depot that also do Brakes, Exhausts, Suspension, Air Con

Clutch still the same, although I suspect it is very gradually getting worse. Don’t know if I should just take the plunge and get a new Clutch fitted before I end up with an inconvenient Breakdown. Trouble is I’m hanging of for the 1.4 Piston Slap rattly Engine finally having to be taken out to fix that. Do they still do a New Short Motor ?

Last edited:
Any recommendations for 1.4 Petrol Engine replacement, or rebuild to fix the 1.4 Piston Slap at 120,000 miles ? It started around 60,000 but Audi did not want to know. Still does not burn any oil. Do we just keep driving until a Piston lets go ?

Replace the clutch in accordance with post 6
A slipping clutch will only get worse so best to crack on with that job and the details about what to do with a clutch change are in post 6
Fit luk clutch kit if you are keeping the A2

Sorry. Don’t understand your reply. “ Post 6 ? “
What is that supposed to mean please ?
The posts in any thread are numbered in a sequence from 1 up. The number is displayed in the upper right-hand corner of each post (where you can right-click to get a link that takes you back to that post if you want)

Ah ! I only saw the BIG NUMBERS on the left ! T’others are not noticeable.

Just realised the Cam Belt(s) last Change was in January 2014 at around 86,664 Miles. Now just over 5 Years later and very close to 120,000 Miles. So unless you can suggest anyone else then I’ll book it in at Harpers Cumbria in Carlisle. They can do the Cam Belt(s) and assess the Clutch for me.

As the A2 is the only car we have that we can get my 88 year old Mother in and out of for the many Hospital Appointments then the best solution at the moment would be to buy another fully working A2 ! But where would I find one ?

Last edited:
Back