Coolant loss…again

A2ALI

Had a new water pump fitted about two weeks ago due to complete coolant loss, pressure tested etc and sent on my way.

The temp light came on tonight after being parked all day, checked level and it's about 10mm below min mark. SO assuming new water pump ok what could it be:confused::(

Was the level checked after the pump was fitted? Sounds daft, but airlocks in the cooling system can take a while to work their way out. Having said that, they usually settle after the engine has warmed to operating temps.

Is there evidence of the leak under the car at all? Obvious thing to do is to check the hoses/clamps to ensure there properly fitted and tightened up.

Is there any loss in the cars performance? If there is no leak externally then the leak could be internal, worst case is the head gasket which can leak into the oil or combustion chambers of the engine. If the oil has white "mayonasse" deposits in it, its not a good sign. Poor performance is another sign, although that depends on the size of the leak.

Ongoing losses

I have the same problem - have been intermittently topping up for a while. The Audi Recovery Tech suggested that the reservoir cap is not sealing properly and that coolant is probably leaking from the reservoir cap at speed - hence negative pressure test. I'm just about to order a new reservoir / cap and will let you know how I get on. I've seen mention of head gasket prob elsewhere but have normal performance so think this is unlikely, and oil clean.

Pete

The problem is that you may not notice a small leak because of the undertray. Most likely to be a hose leak, I would think. Some of the hoses are not very accessible with the tray in place!

RAB

It's worth keeping an eye on the condition of the oil as it is possible for water to leak in surprising quantities into the oil return galleries via bad cylinder head gasket seal. Telltale signs would be white emulsified oil on cambox filler cap. You usually don't see a rise in oil level as most of the water boils/evaporates off as the engine warms and then disappears out of the engine breather system.

I hope it's a leaky hose - I did see another thread talking about porous hoses but can't find it right now.

They couldn't find anything… guessing it's an air lock.

I have a funny feeling it won't be the last time I have this problem though.

I have about 3 weeks left on my warranty so about enough time to see if it drops again…

Even if the coolant loss reappears shortly after the warranty has expired, as it is a recent known issue, you will still be able to claim a repair.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

I have been an owner of an A2 2002 petrol for 3 months, and mine has the same problem:mad:
Recently started loosing coolant. I can see spots in the morning on the floor, next to the water pump. It does not specifically loose coolant when I drive, as I have done long journeys and there is no difference of whether I am driving or the car is just parked. So I assume it is either the pump or the tubes somewhere.
My question is, if it is just loosing coolant when parked could it just be the tube going from reservoir?

Anyway, as I am of right now topping it with a cup of mixed water and coolant every 2-3 weeks, how long can I drive before I could go and fix it? Should I do it ASAP or I can live with it for some time?

Thanks,
Great forum you have here. Very helpful!

Slight water loss when standing but none while running is typical of the early stages of water pump seal failure. It's OK to continue using as long as you keep topping up with a water/corrosion inhibitor (e.g. antifreeze) solution. As soon as you can get all your pennies out of the piggy bank you can then get it fixed.

based on my experience sounds like water pump, I had quite alot of water on the garage floor, had the water pump changed and now dry as bone… if you have it done get the cambelt done too!

When my coolant/overheating problems started I started by replacing header tank cap(about £10) but it made no difference.The final resolution was the head gasket but whilst trying to diagnoze the cause of the fault I didnt notice any significant change in performance characteristics so long as I stayed below 60mph.Good luck with solving yours.My head gasket was replaced by main audi dealer & the costs were not too prohibitive.

Thx guys,

It seems there is no doubt it is the water pump. A pity, cause for my 1.4 petrol as far as I know the life of the cam belt is much longer.
Would have to change everything though, hope it goes well.

I am thinking of doing the job at an independent here in Sweden, cause the main dealer offered me a price that is as much as 30% more then what an independent VAG garage would ask. What would be the main tips and recommendations when doing the job at a non-dealer to be sure everything was done right?

Best,

Back