Coolant Loss

Skipton01

Admin Team
Hi all,

I'm posting this on behalf of a new member who PM'd me, as he wasn't able to post to the forums. Your suggestions please:

Hi, I am sorry for sending you a PM but I can't seem to find out how to ask a question to the whole forum. I have been reading a lot about the A2 set up and believe you may be able to help me. I have a 2001 1.4 TDI A2 which has recently suffered from coolant loss on at least 6 occasions in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately I'm in the USA now and my wife is having to bear the problem. The local garage has pressure tested the system and kept it overnight, with no apparent leeks evident. However, the low coolant light has come on at least twice since then and my wife has had to fill the header tank on both occasions. Is there, to your knowledge, any weak spots that may cause water coolant loss. I have considered a radiator leak, faulty cap, split tubes, head gasket! but these all seem to be coming up as ok. I'm at a loss at the moment as the car is not providning a warm fuzzy feeling of confidence! Any guidance to a PC ludite on how to ask questions on the forum would also be helpful.
Thank you if you do reply.

Arockape!

Cheers,

Mike

I’ve had same problem:

Coolant loss without any evidence of leaking of hoses, head gasket (no oil/water mixture), no loose clamps,...

over-pressure test went fine

But after changing the blue cap of the ball-shaped coolant reservoir, all went OK. Obviously the relief pressure valve beeing integrated in that cap was faulty. A new cap only costs a few bucks...

Hi all,

I'm posting this on behalf of a new member who PM'd me, as he wasn't able to post to the forums. Your suggestions please:

Hi, I am sorry for sending you a PM but I can't seem to find out how to ask a question to the whole forum. I have been reading a lot about the A2 set up and believe you may be able to help me. I have a 2001 1.4 TDI A2 which has recently suffered from coolant loss on at least 6 occasions in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately I'm in the USA now and my wife is having to bear the problem. The local garage has pressure tested the system and kept it overnight, with no apparent leeks evident. However, the low coolant light has come on at least twice since then and my wife has had to fill the header tank on both occasions. Is there, to your knowledge, any weak spots that may cause water coolant loss. I have considered a radiator leak, faulty cap, split tubes, head gasket! but these all seem to be coming up as ok. I'm at a loss at the moment as the car is not providning a warm fuzzy feeling of confidence! Any guidance to a PC ludite on how to ask questions on the forum would also be helpful.
Thank you if you do reply.

Arockape!

Cheers,

Mike

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM TURNS OUT ITS THE HEAD GASKET WHICH AT 40000 MILES IS A DISGRACE FOR AN AUDI ALSO RUNNING ROUGH TOO MANY THINGS GOING WRONG WITH THIS CAR NO WONDER AUDI STOPPED MAKING THEM!!! ITS GOING INTO AUDI TODAY

I have a 2001 1.4 TDI A2 which has recently suffered from coolant loss on at least 6 occasions in the last 2 weeks.

It would be further helpful to know if the coolant loss does happen during

- engine operation only or
- already with shutdown engine or
- both

More Qs:

Has the water pump been exchanged (during the last cambelt exchange) or is there still the first pump installed?

Is there any oil film visible atop the water table of the coolant reservoir?

Is there any foamy white residue (= oil/water emulsion) around the camshaft for instance?

Any loss of engine performance detectable?

Ignition problems at the morning with cold engine block?

Massive white smoke development at full throttle?

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM TURNS OUT ITS THE HEAD GASKET WHICH AT 40000 MILES IS A DISGRACE FOR AN AUDI ALSO RUNNING ROUGH TOO MANY THINGS GOING WRONG WITH THIS CAR NO WONDER AUDI STOPPED MAKING THEM!!! ITS GOING INTO AUDI TODAY

mines has lot of white smoke, poor engine performance and generally running poor. Audi have booked it in for 19th May keeping it for 10 days also replacing timing chain, offside coil spring and skimming head etc etc.

giving me an a3 to run around in:rolleyes:

My cd player is also playing up will let them know about that also, already had a new one from them must be an internal fault leading to the player itself I think?

Have a look at the seal on the header tank cap.If it is starting to break up you will lose water as it escapes out the cap and the system will stand any pressure test you like without showing up any probs and you will still lose water.Had this one before on an Astra.Its worth a shot:)

Have you checked the mats/carpet in the car? Are they wet?

If you have no apparent problem with the engine, but still lose coolant, the matrix (if it has one the same as other cars) could be leaking, usually indicated by wet carpets.

Have a look at the seal on the header tank cap.If it is starting to break up you will lose water as it escapes out the cap and the system will stand any pressure test you like without showing up any probs and you will still lose water.Had this one before on an Astra.Its worth a shot:)

Almost the same shot sometimes the seal on top unseats itself
just remove the bonnet and its there on the right hand side.
Unscrew it when cold turn upside down and check the seal is sitting in place
Its happened to me on another older VW

Back