cooling fan does not shut off..

Mr Smurf

I have a problem with my cooling fan (1.4 TDI).

At first I noticed that it was running unusually long after the engine was shut off, but now it never shuts off and drains my battery..

I now manually disconnect the fan everytime i shut the engnine off..

Hi Mr Smurf
There is a temp sensor in the bottom hose where it enters the radiator. If the fan stops when the wires are disconnected there is a good chance the sensor is faulty. If its not this then its likely to be the fan controller which sits on top of the radiator. Hopefylly its not this as they are quite expensive

Cheers Spike

So the fan should stop if i disconnect the wires from the bottom sensor?
I don't have any data which explains the full fan operating logic so this suggestion is only a best guess, something I would try if my car was acting up in this way. Do it when the engine is cold, with the ignition off - when the fan should definitely not be running.

For example, on cars with aircon, the fan runs as soon as the ignition is switched on - regardless of coolant temp. If the engine is hot, the fan runs for a short time even when the engine is switched off. Some of these functions are a feature of the fan control unit and some of the temp sensor but I don't know which has priority

Cheers Spike

The fan controller housing was full of water!

I have disassembled it and cleaned the electroncis and now I'm just waiting for it to dry..

Looks like i found the problem.

Back