Cracked front spring...

A2buggy

Hi guys,
New to the site, so hello all! Took my A2 SE 1.4 to Audi for a thorough service (only had her 6 days) just to make sure all is well, peace of mind, etc, and also to investigate the strange knocking from the left hand front wheel arch.
Report came back that the spring was cracked & broken!... :( Gave them the nod to replace both LH & RH, but at a price! Has anyone else suffered from this prob, got it fixed, and if so, noticed any improvement? I adore my little buggy so can accept the cost. Pick her up tomorrow, so all will be revealed....
My first car too. Other than that, she's perfect! Thanks for any comments!

Thanks for the info Mr Smurf! Audi did mention that they'd replace the bearings too, also mentioned that they'd seized. Hopefully as I get to know more about the car I can try and tackle bits & bobs meself, but only if I'm absolutely clued up. Thanks for the thread, very interesting! I'll let you know how she feels tomorrow when she comes home....

The Audi top bearing isn't up to the job. The ball-bearings are relatively small and it's in a plastic mount (although the inner race is metal). Can't help but feel if they (Audi) redesigned the top bearing, then the life of the spring could be extended. As it is, I reckon the springs are only good for 3 years tops!

I've replaced both now on my wife's A2 within the last 30k miles. Now on 80k.

The Audi top bearing isn't up to the job. The ball-bearings are relatively small and it's in a plastic mount (although the inner race is metal). Can't help but feel if they (Audi) redesigned the top bearing, then the life of the spring could be extended. As it is, I reckon the springs are only good for 3 years tops!

I've replaced both now on my wife's A2 within the last 30k miles. Now on 80k.

The motoring press say spring failures on most european cars are a common problem and put it down to the way the spring end coils are finished. They used to be ground flat so the end coils tapered to nothing and gave a perfect seating. Later springs are not ground and the seating can be less than perfect which stresses the end coils resulting in early failures.
My TDi is coming up to 10 years old and I've had one rear spring fail.
Biggest problem with the top bearings is the races are not fully sealed against dirt ingress.

Cheers Spike

Back