Crap gearchange.

mpjbiker

Hi all, my 1.4 TDi gearchange has recently become very stiff and notchy-my first thought was that the cables needed adjustment. Locking the gearbox seemed a bit hit and miss, but I finally got it in the right position, and finished the job. On road testing, the first half mile or so seemed better, but the change quickly deteriorated to even worse than before. Is it possible that the grippers are losing grip on the cables? The jobs obviously been done before, cos there was already a hole in the rubber gaitor. The car is not high mileage, and the clutch was replaced a few miles before I got it. As an aside, I assume the clutch is hydraulic, but I can't see the reservoir.
Any help or suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers.

How old is your car?

I am not hot on the macanics, but members have found that when doing the 5th gear mod the gear box oil was low.

Could your gear box oil be low?

Cheers

David

When you say crap gear change what do you mean? are all gears notchy and hard to engage ?? i don't have the anwers sorry, but i have a simular problem, only mine centres around just one gear - 3rd.

Generally, 2nd to third and fourth to fifth are worst, which makes me suspect the cables, but then it seems to get worse as it gets hot, which makes me suspect hydraulics. Car is 51 plate 1.4Tdi with 79k on the clock, and complete new clutch about 10k ago. How do you check the gearbox oil level-are these cars very sensitive to box oil level and quality?
Cheers for replies.

When I had my 'box fitted with the 5th gear upgrade a few months ago there was barely a cupful of oil in the box at @ 73k miles..... and no sign of any leaks.

Update for anyone interested-bled the clutch (had to undo bleed nipple several turns before any fluid came out, normal?), gearchange is generally better, but the clutch biting point seems variable, leading to occasional graunched and baulked changes. It is completely inpredictable, hence really annoying! Is the clutch cylinder on the way out? Any other suggestions?
Cheers!

Hi
when changing gear is the gear lever position not very posative, my gearbox (GRJ ) is newer than yours i think and their is a modified selector shaft, A big inprovement

Rich

Back