Creaking / Cracking Sound from Suspension - Help!

A2Look

Hi there,

I am not sure if any other fellow A2 owners have had a similar problem?

When the A2 sets off, when the wheel is turned to lock/near lock it makes a cracking sounds from the from passenger side wheel mostly.

I have heard of other people having similar problems, but is this a normal feature of the car, or is the spring dead?

Also, I notice a slightly metallic sounds from the brakes when driving off in the morning and the handbrake is released. Could this is a rust issue on the brakes / handbrake?

Help!

Hi A2look,

I suggest that you check for a broken spring. Put your steering on full lock and look at the top end of the spring. Check to see if the last 75mm or so is missing. If it is broken, you should see a pointed end, which may be rusting. Compare it with the other side for reference.

John.

If its not a broken spring, then worn / seized strut top mount bearings are a possibe cause of the cracking sound.
Your diagnosis of the brakes is probably right as in damp weather the shoes tend to rust onto the drums if the car is left over night with the handbrake on.

Cheers Spike

Hi all,

Mechanic has said the shock absorber is to blame?? Could this be the case?
Its booked in to have it changed, would they change the top mount at the same time? etc

I'd put my money on a broken spring also. They normally snap at the top and knacker the strut bearing in the process.

Your mechanic may not have considered this as it isn't common on many cars, but is on the A2 unfortunately:(

The squeal from the rear brakes is most probably as described above - if you have rear drums? I get this first thing in the morning every day.

Hi all!

Garage has said its the shock absorber, they will also change the strut bearing too. All in for £165.

The bearings themselves are a little over a tenner each - it's the labour that is the killer in this job, as you need to remove the damper assembly from the car to change it!

Budget on around £200 all in - and get the other side done, as if one is going, the other one will soon follow!

Cheers,

Mike

Back