Criticism Toyota’s D-CAT diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

A friend working at Ford emeailed me this:

GERMANY: German OEMs come together to criticise Toyota’s D-CAT diesel engine
08 Feb 2005
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

German OEMs – namely BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW – are criticising Toyota's D-CAT diesel engine, saying that it is ineffective after 5,000-8,000km, reports Automobilwoche.

The D-CAT combines Toyota’s Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction System (DPNR) with a diesel particulate filter. It has been fitted on the Avensis since 2003.

Toyota claims that the technology exceeds Euro 4 norms and has the potential to meet proposed Euro 5 emission limits, reports Automobilwoche.

Automobilwoche has learnt that the OEMs have been conducting durability tests and found that after a short time – possibly as little as 5,000 km, NOx reduction starts to decline. This means that it would no longer meet Euro 4 limits.

The German OEMs have made the European Commission aware of the problem, according to the report. They are afraid that Toyota might persuade the Commission that a DeNOx catalyst is the way forward and that this will influence the level at which NOx emission limits are set for future Euro 5 norms.

If, once in place, the Euro 5 limits cannot reliably be met with a DeNOx catalyst after all, Toyota will cash in by pushing its hybrid technology, suggests one OEM quoted in the article.

Toyota is continuously developing its D-CAT system, according to a later article in the same publication. Its new D-4D Clear Power 4-cylinder engine, which will appear in the summer of this year, will exceed current DeNOx performance.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Cheeky devils.

As an aside, there are known issues with the 1.8 litre petrol Toyota engine-lots or problems at about 50,000 miles.

Thankfully it doesn't affect the 2.0 litre petrol (which I have). Maybe Toyota are now running into issues after being so long seen as a reliable brand? Like Merc a few years ago0got too big for their shoes, quality went down and so did peoples happy comments. Looks like Merc learned and is now back to quality (new A class for example).

Steve - A couple of A2's, then a Corolla, now an Avensis T3-X 2.0 Auto

I'm reading more that particulate filters are being used to reach Euro IV emission levels. I think Audi are unique in that they have achieved Euro IV without using such a filter.

Audi are not the only one - Honda have as well.

Problem with the filter is your service costs go up because what they take out of the filter at service has to be disposed as "hazardous waste"

Ian

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back