Custom paint job?

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
My A2 is Misano Red with open sky and it crossed my mind how broadly similar it makes the car look to the TT RS with the all black roof over a red bodywork. So I am considering having the red 'band' from the base of the A post to C post painted black to create a similar effect. Anyone know if this has been done before? I am trying to get a photoshop image created by one of my staff. Any thoughts, opinions welcome!

was chatting to someone with a misano yesterday and a friend has a Red TT in the style your talking about,I think it will be ok :D

Would look cracking IMO - there's a white one (european) in the gallery that has similar treatment and looks good... think it'd work better with the red too ;)

Hmmm, not sure.

The front deffo works, but the back end, where the D pillar joins the rear quarter, there is no real defining line for the paint to come to a stop.

Yes, I know that is the case with the Ur TT, but then again, I wasn't sure about that either.

Cheers,

Mike

I Love the look of the red tt quattro with black roof and if i had a choice this is the one i would buy ...Im not sure on the A2 .If it would have quite the same impact The white A2 with the black roof i think looks stunning and one of the best looking A2's around although i suspect not to everyones tastes so i cant see why the red A2 with black roof would'nt be equally as good looking ...The problem with your pic is the photoshopped picture is a little too black at the back and looks a little unrealistic it should look not so black as it looks like a black hole if u know what i mean ...
Go on give it a go its good to be different ....

Yes, I know that is the case with the Ur TT,
Mike

Off topic I know, but I have to ask this question ... what does Ur stand for?

I have seen this used re the first Quattro, now I see you using it re the TT.

Translation please?

:confused:

Off topic I know, but I have to ask this question ... what does Ur stand for?

I have seen this used re the first Quattro, now I see you using it re the TT.

Translation please?

:confused:

Ur doesn't actually stand for anything but apart from being an ancient Mesopotamian town, it just happens to be a German word meaning original or beginning.

It was first used to give special status to the iconic quattro, when a lot of Audis were being fitted with 4 wheel drive - the Ur-quattro was born.

Now that there is a new TT, a few people are calling the original the Ur-TT, me included, as although not as good a car to drive as the new one, it was an historic car and equally as important as the Ur-quattro in Audis lineage.

If there is ever a new A2, then we will then all be driving Ur-A2s!!

Cheers,

Mike

the white one on the german forum uses foil. It has black at the top and an OSS.

Actually, I see I have a pic with two two-tones...

here:
2413716_31069b14824b4311a9fe7dcc3bda1076_large.jpg

and
2413729_244277a253c8861e1eca94737cc752ee_large.jpg

Bret

As you can see on the last photo the end line will have to be acurate, the line is just a little to high it should have finish level with the rear screen ( top of the tailgate part ) or am i just a bit picky working in a body shop things like that just seem to jump out at me

Cheers Phil

I agree with you Phil. The gold should finish a few mm lower. I think the problem with the photo shop is that it is just that and it was done v.quickly. I feel it makes the car look lower/wider and overcomes one of the few design 'faults' with the A2 of looking a bit tall relative to the width. I like the white/black combo, not sure about the black/gold tho. Can't decide whether to do the mirrors black or keep them red.....

Why notgo for the S3 look its a painted silver that looks like stainless steeli think i've seen a pic of an A2 with them on i think it was TANK (skipton), are they different mirrors or just painted Mike

Cheers Phil

They are standard shells that have been coated with an aluminium covering - done by the chaps that produce parts for the McClaren F1 Team.

Cheers,

Mike

I notice Bretti refers to 'foil'. Do you mean a 'stick' on film and if so where can it be bought ? Not sure about silver mirrors, it means introducing another colour. Will keep it black/red!

There is another thread covering dash trim inserts which I am also considering. Next job to research threads re fitting mud flaps ( do the wheels really all have to come off?) and upgrade headlamp bulbs......

i mean a stick on film, it's common over on the continent for taxis.
I'll ask to find a supplier.

Why not just get bare mirror housings? the original ones were black....

If you've got OSS, I'd go for the gloss black all the way from the top down to the bottom of the windows (black deep gloss mirrors?) and then red from there down, with black gloss wheels with a red stripe round the rim.

No, you don't *need* to remove the wheels to do the mudflaps, it's just easier and will take +10% longer (2 min to remove as opposed to 2 min moving the wheel enough to get clearance for that nice short screwdriver). Your choice ;)

Bret

I Would love to see the Gloss Black on Red look and i would go for the Black mirrors as well this would be a welcome addition to the customised look ..Something which is lacking and i would like to see more of in the A2OC ....

OK since others have spoken up, I should also add that to my mind the red A2 with an all black roof does end up looking like a double decker bus that went under a low bridge.....sorry! :eek:

Back