CV Joint ?

How much should it cost to replace a CV Joint please ?

Steve U

Joints are £15 to £20 for the tdi I can’t see them being much different for the petrol A2’s

Changing the cv joint over depends if the joint as ever been out of the bearing. Eg a wheel bearing or clutch change etc
If they have not been out then about 3 to 4 hours labour if they have been out about 2 hours I’ve just done some on a atl for Andrew Mar. Hence I’m fairly accurate on timings

Hope this helps

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joints are £15 to £20 for the tdi I can’t see them being much different for the petrol A2’s

Changing the cv joint over depends if the joint as ever been out of the bearing. Eg a wheel bearing or clutch change etc
If they have not been out then about 3 to 4 hours labour if they have been out about 2 hours I’ve just done some on a atl for Andrew Mar. Hence I’m fairly accurate on timings

Hope this helps

Cheers. Paul

Garage Quoted for a VAG Driveshaft at £132 plus Fitting. Don’t know why ? Maybe faster to fit, and covers all possibilities ?

Steve U

The garage could be quicker because if the following tools?
Compressed air hammer?
Working at a good height?
Access to heat torch or even better induction heat.

Glad to read genuine VW/Audi parts as atermarket can introduce backlash. The blue TDi75 is terrible for this problem because I put cheap parts on it.

20230527_194450.jpg20240213_095436.jpg

To refueb both sides cost £81.74 parts only. (inners & outers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for thread swerve.

Hi Kraig,

Hope you are well, liking the new graphic in the motor.
You don't want to hear this next sentence so close your ears.

You can remove the inner CV joint on the car but working on the floor with the car on axle stands. I've been doing far too long so I now invest a bit of time in disassembly to make the job easier for me.

I buy a new hub nut for reassembly and remove the whole drive shaft and clamp it in the bench vice to work on.
Your way does work but it's hard work!

Good luck 🤞

Edit,
You may find there's no thread lock on the splines.
But if there is you can always go back to plan A

HUB NUT = 120Nm

Edit 2
The downside of removing the whole CV joint.
Lower ball joint is removed and the track rod end. This means a trip to the garage for wheel alignment. 😩

Hi Kraig,

You can remove the inner CV joint on the car but working on the floor with the car on axle stands. I've been doing far too long so I now invest a bit of time in disassembly to make the job easier for me.

I buy a new hub nut for reassembly and remove the whole drive shaft and clamp it in the bench vice to work on.

Good luck 🤞

Edit,

HUB NUT = 120Nm

Edit 2
Lower ball joint is removed and the track rod end. This means a trip to the garage for wheel alignment. 😩
Hi bud thanks for the like on the decals , you can withdraw the whole drive shaft without moving the hub, its the glue bond that people have trouble with. i did i write up on it but i have no idea how to find the link . saves redoing the tracking . but the inner is a 30mins job on the car .

Before I met Kraig I hadn't realised he was the JDD gearbox retrofit mechanic.(Edit. therefore very used to working on drive shafts)
He is good great at his work.
If you are thinking of doing this job (drive shafts not gear box) it can soon escalate in degrees of difficulty depending on how rusted and stuck the drive shafts are.

Inner drive shaft removal and refitting 'how to' on the cards Kraig?
:) 👍

Hi Kraig,

Good luck 🤞

Edit,

HUB NUT = 120Nm

Edit 2
I don't see the need for wheel alignment if you only remove they ball joints and nothing else the are on a taper so wouldn't change the alignment ?

Hi bud thanks for the like on the decals , you can withdraw the whole drive shaft without moving the hub, its the glue bond that people have trouble with. i did i write up on it but i have no idea how to find the link . saves redoing the tracking . but the inner is a 30mins job on the car .
Hi Kraig,

Hope all is well along the road, we should ah w catch up at some point as it’s been a. Few Mk the since we last see each other. Do any of these threads help Sir:

Drive shaft

JDD gearbox

Clicking on your username will reveal the threads/posts you’ve been involved in over time:

IMG_8856.jpeg

From tapping on the messages (thread/posts) you will quickly be able to see your posting history.

Or you found use the search function:

IMG_8858.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

Kind regards,

Tom

Brilliant Tom!

Wheel alignment
I wouldn't know without an alignment reading before the work and after completing.
Disturbing any part of the suspension set up is usually followed by a recommendation for wheel alignment.
I was playing it safe :) 👍

Before I met Kraig I hadn't realised he was the JDD gearbox retrofit mechanic.
He is good great at his work.
If you are thinking of doing this job it can soon escalate in degrees of difficulty depending on how rusted and stuck the drive shafts are.

Inner drive shaft removal and refitting 'how to' on the cards Kraig?
:) 👍
Hi Andrew,

He most certainly is. Kraig expertly prepared and installed the JDD ‘box in the Jaipur Red EUD A2.

Kind regards,

Tom

I don't see the need for wheel alignment if you only remove they ball joints and nothing else the are on a taper so wouldn't change the alignment ?

Totally agree. But on the presses metal arms the ball joint can be undone with the three bolts and would then need wheel alignment unless put back in the original place

Paul

Garage Quoted for a VAG Driveshaft at £132 plus Fitting. Don’t know why ? Maybe faster to fit, and covers all possibilities ?

Steve U

Steve
I really really hope I’m wrong on this but the £132 for e genuine VAG drive shaft and joints doesn’t sound right to me
I recently changed drive shafts on Andrew Mar tdi90. Andrew got the parts I was fitting them but from memory VAG where in the order of £700 for a complete drive shaft assembly
The CV joints alone from VAG where in the order of £300 each

I suspect you garage as quoted for a J&R or similar drive shaft assembly and have added the usual garage tax on the price as the J&R shafts where £45 and £75 from memory

We have removed the J&R shafts due to a vibration at 80mph
Fitted the original shaft back with new joints SKF and some other quality make but these were considerably more expensive than J&R joints. However the vibration is totally gone now so Andrew is a happy camper again

Please double check what the garage have quoted for as it is just too cheap to be true

Paul

Hi Andrew,

He most certainly is. Kraig expertly prepared and installed the JDD ‘box in the Jaipur Red EUD A2.

Kind regards,

Tom
cheers Tom it has been awhile , its all the great british weather, will have to have a catch up soon , im glad i can change bits myself , j&r are ok if i had to pay out £700 it would right my a2 off , my roof bars are now keeping the value over 1k lol

Steve U
I`m thinking it`s Not a CV Joint Noise. Possibly a Top Strut Bearing ? How can I diagnose the noise please ?

Steve U

Top strut. Rotate steering from lock to lock with car stationary. The top mount bearing will growl or if seized the spring will twang

Paul

Thank you. I`m thinking that`s going to be it. Garage replaced the Top Strut Mountings many years ago. Don`t know why they changed the whole Mountings. Probably only needed the Bearings, which are available at much lower cost.

Steve U

Thank you. I`m thinking that`s going to be it. Garage replaced the Top Strut Mountings many years ago. Don`t know why they changed the whole Mountings. Probably only needed the Bearings, which are available at much lower cost.

Steve U
Tried that today. Couldn`t replicate the noise. It`s when you set off turning from a junction at low speed.

Steve U

Back