dangerous brakes?

Britt

When braking from a slow speed have an intermitant noise from osf as if disc is warped also a strange feeling through brake pedal.
When braking from speed the car lunges forward and seams to pull to the left if the wheel is not held it will turn to the right giving a feeling that the car is crabbing.
This feels dangerous.
Had the osf wheel bearing changed two months ago and the drop links chan
ged at the same time.

Do a short drive of no more than half a mile, with no braking (until the end!) and then jump out and being careful, feel the disc temperatures.

If one of them is binding, then it'll be pretty hot, whilst the other one should still be pretty cool.

Cheers,

Mike

Dodgy brakes

If you suspect a warped disc swap them around and see if the fault moves if it doesn't have a look at the caliper , a sticking caliper (not the actual cylinder but the floating part) will give the same symptoms as a warped disc.You can take the bolts out ( as though you ar changing the front pads ) and check to make sure they are free to move

Shocks appear to be ok.

Wheels spin freely so discs are not warped or binding.

New development is that when you take the foot off the accelerator the car feels like it's hesitating caused by braking even though the brakes are not being applied. The engine is running smoothly so would rule this out as a problem.

Have checked previous logs on ABS but can't seem to find any similar faults.

Could it be the ABS?

At speed when depressing the accelerator and the car is in neutral, does this braking effect appear? If not, then you can rule out a braking system fault and see if you don't have an engine/gearing problem.

The wheels spin freely so warped discs or binding brakes can be ruled out.
Cannot try T Rexes idea as car is in local garage.
They tell me diagnostics show no faults brakes are working but ABS engages all the time even reversing.
They have spoken to Hitchin Audi who appear clueless and are now waiting for Bedford Audi to call back.
Please keep ideas coming will relay info as i get it :eek:

Brakes

Hi there I had a similar prob with an astra van.It was the Master cylinder that was playin up.I tried calipers ,discs the lot .Any time that I checked the brakes all was ok.Car was pulling to one side(even though a new caliper had been fitted),funny smells ,engine overheat all sort of unrelated symptoms.Totally sporadic intermittent and aggravating found it by accident:eek:.Could be a possible for yours

Last edited:
Car is booked in with a stealer on 14th. they tell me they will be charging half hour investigation time and then will give me a quote. He seemed very confident over the phone that the job would be completed on the same day as the car's dropped off. He wasn't so forthcoming with any diagnosis when my local garage asked for advice. Any idea of cost of master cylinder fitted at stealer compared to local garage as a rough guide, just to make sure I'm not being done over.

Spoke to local garage today. They tell me they checked brakes on a rolling road. All was working as it should - ABS engaging as low as 2mph so have doubt if master cylinder is at fault.

Update today, while driving along a straight road esp light came on permanent along with the abs light and a big red flashing light in the centre. Good news, the car no longer hesitates when foot is lifted off throttle allowing car to coast. On sharper braking the car stops in a straight line - no crabbing. When reaching the end of braking - 2-3 mph, no sounds as if discs are warped or binding. Me thinks the problem is abs related:eek:

Back