Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyman

Newbie here, just picked up my A2 yesterday 25th Jan 2001 1.4SE, Brilliant Blue, gorgeous, loads of extras, but I have a wee problem.

My glovebox light does not come on, even with side lights or head lights switched on, bulb works ok, no power to bulb. Exactly the same is happening with the boot light - bulb works but no power.

Any suggestions?[1]

Check fuse, see layout on inside of cover.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, 2004 grill, Tinted Security Glass (+Road Angel)

I have checked the fuses, the glovebox light is fused with numberplate light and it works fine, i couldn't find a listing for boot light on the fuse cover so checked all lighting ones, all ok.

Shezlee how did you get the system to register the boot was open.

Thanks for the suggestions, it is only two lights that don't work, but it is really annoying as there is nothing else wrong with the car.

Going to order a towbar from Audi dealer today £260 for towbar and £100 for wiring kit, ouch!!

Hi Skyman,
Slightly off-topic but are you getting the dealer to fit the towbar or are you doing it yourself.
Iv'e been putting off fitting one for ages as the costs are so high and would be interested in any advice you could offer.

Thanks Dorian.[24]

Dorian, I'm going to fit the towbar myself, i had planned on taking pictures as i was fitting and posting them on this site, can't be that hard i've fitted a few in the past. I will be getting it on saturday, but don't know when i will get round to fitting it hopefully on monday. Good news the dealer gave me 10% discount on the price aswell.

Back to my light problem, as i was at the dealer ordering my towbar, they very kindly plugged in their diagnostic computer and it showed no problems with both lights, or anything else for that matter, just that my alarm had went off a few times. The technician thought the glove box light might not be connected as he had come across a few like that. The boot light he thought might be the boot latch as it has the switch in it. Boot latch cost £22.

So i think i'll take the glove box out and see if there is any connections missing and test the latch if i can to confirm it is that before ordering.

Thanks for that Skyman and good luck with the fit.
I too have fitted towbars myself in the dark distant past but for some reason am not to confident doing it on the A2.Perhaps it's because iv'e never done it on such a new car of my own!!
If you get a chance to take some pictures and maybe make some notes it would be a great help both to myself, and anyone else on this site thinking of doing the same.
I presume you get some sort of instructions with the towbar itself?
Thanks again and good luck.
Dorian[24]

[37]
Ensure you use chromate coated bolts or you will manufacture a very large and somewhat inefficient battery - and corrode your anode!

[2]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

...skyman I too had this problem,

under warranty I had the whole glove box replaced, as the switch is apparantley built into the hinge somehow, and not available as a seperate part! :)

bba

thanks for the info, people , i've not had a chance to pull the glove box out or the boot latch yet as i was fitting my towbar last weekend, but next day off i will investigate both switches, pitty my car is out of warranty, nevermind i'll get round it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back