Declaring car off road/insurance

Rich.

A2OC Donor
I'm hopefully moving to another country next year to work away and my car insurance is due around the time i'm leaving.

I was wondering if I can include the car on the house insurance or do I still need to pay for full insurance even though the car will be on the driveway and not in use for a whole year!!!!! :(

I really don't think anyone can answer this apart from your insurance company.... As any reason not to pay out, and they will take it. so check and double check. If needs be get it in writing if its not in the documents or policy at present. I'm not sure they will cover it, but you never know

Just out of curiosity how are you leaving the car for a year i.e. are you going to prepared for a year of complete inaction? Is someone driving it around the block weekly/monthly, starting it, testing the Air con, leaving the handbrake off etc??

Right ok thanks. What about if I get someone to take it for a quick 15 minute drive once every week

The more you can do the better..

15 mins won't charge the battery, but TBH that isn't that important. If it goes flat you just charge it. I would try to ensure the person just gives it a little run and uses the Aircon. If for some reason they aren't going to touch it for a few months (they forget or have other commitments) then make sure the hand brake is off if possible. Also I imagine that the windows open to allow the car to breath will help. Mould can set in if any car is sat in the contrasts from winter sun to night time cold in a nearly sealed environment. so while out on the "run" get them to open the windows and allow a little air to blow around.

Running the car over 2000-3000 rpm with nothing on for an hour will charge the battery, (not very realistic). but you need to just get someone to ablige and give it a run with the aircon on etc. So the battery may go flat, a little charge and it will be ok again. Worse case scenerio.

You are free to leave the car with me Richard if you like. I have plenty of space here and it is very secure and covered by 24 hour CCTV.

The main trouble with a flat battery is that if it is not attended to quickly, it can lead to convenience failure, such that the doors will not open (even with the key).

I know of one lady who had to have her A2 professionally broken into to re-charge the battery, and it cost her a new central convewnience unit too.

Where abouts are you thinking of going by the way?

Cheers,

Mike

Wouldnt you be best off selling it putting the money in a savings account and buying another when you return? What would you do if something broke? who would pay?

If you aren't attached to your car, or you are confident you will get one the same or better then I would agree, but personally I couldn't part with it , as I would have to buy one I know nothing about (apart from on paper). The thought of doing that makes me shudder:D

The main trouble with a flat battery is that if it is not attended to quickly, it can lead to convenience failure, such that the doors will not open (even with the key).

The other main issue with leaving a flat battery is that lead-acid batteries deteriorate quickly if left flat, and hold very little charge when re-charged. They last for years if kept charged. I have an old car that has been off the road for many years. One new battery failed within a couple of years due to me allowing it to go flat and stay that way too long. I now charge the replacement weekly with a trickle charger on a timer, and it's holding up very well.

Bear in mind that batteries have gone up hugely in price due to a quadrupling of lead prices. It would cost in to buy a trickle charger (Gunson does a good one) and remove the battery for regular timed (or continuous) charging. You could get a solar charger for this rather than a mains one, and leave the battery in.

Other things to be aware of:
1) Brake disks will rust up if the car is outside.
2) Change the oil before laying up.
3) Check the tyre pressures. You don't want it sitting on a flat tyre for months.

It would probably cost in to keep the car. It will depreciate, but A2s are pretty good. The depreciation can be off-set against the cost-to-change, particularly if you sell to & buy from a retailer. The time involved in finding a replacement is not to be underestimated, particularly if you don't want to pay over the odds.

Mark

It would cost in to buy a trickle charger (Gunson does a good one) and remove the battery for regular timed (or continuous) charging. You could get a solar charger for this rather than a mains one, and leave the battery in.

Absolutely agree, but if you get a solar one, don't get one from Maplins - one of theirs fryed Angies Yaris battery last summer!

Cheers,

Mike

Absolutely agree, but if you get a solar one, don't get one from Maplins - one of theirs fryed Angies Yaris battery last summer!

Mines branded "Batt-Man". It hasn't caused any problems. I leave it in the shed window charging my lawn-mower's 12V car-type battery.

Mark

Back