Defect valve and no spare!

A2ALI

Was happily cleaning the A2 this morning, and noticed the driver side front tyre almost flat, assumed puncture, but no it wasn't – the valve was leaking when moved in any direction…Dilema! Try and get to tyre place (risk damaging the tyre) use the gunk (Does the tyre become unusable when you do this?) or get a recovery truck to take me to tyre place! Well I had to get on the back of the recovery vehicle didn't I - seems kind of crazy, I didn't give a thought to not owning a spare of some kind, but in this instance what a pain…and embarrassing, as it was all clean and shiny on the back of dirty orange recovery truck.

Anyone else had the same kind of frustration and devised a cunning plan?

Hi A2ALI,

I am fortunate enough to have the space saver spare wheel and it would seem that the tyre weld is not a popular alternative to owning a spare. In fact many of the regulars on here now own a spare wheel and I can only suggest that you source one for yourself.

Spare wheels often become available on this forum and are sometimes found on ebay and it doesn't necessarily mean having the space saver - a standard A2 alloy will get you home and will fit loosely in the boot. (If you have the false floor however, this does tend to prevent it from lying flush though).

Darren

Hope there'll still be room for the soon to be purchased baby travel system!!

Do you know if a tyre becomes unusable once you've used the magic white bottle?

Having no experience of the stuff, I cannot give you a guarantee, but I believe that once it is used it renders the tyre useless.

I do stand to be corrected however.

Hi A2ALI, agree frustrating, especially if you were planning to go out somewhere.

>Anyone else had the same kind of frustration and devised a cunning plan?

Did you consider one of these mobile tyre fitters?

I think a space saver is the answer. I recall one can drive up to 50 mph on one.

When I bought 4 new tyres the other day I kept the best old one as spare on the basis I could use the space saver to get myself to a garage and use it. I'm worried that getting a new 185/50/16V tyre may not be that easy and may take some days or cost an arm and a leg.

Back