Deflated & Tubeless

C

CWD

I've just experienced my first puncture with my A2.

Unfortunately, I never bothered checking whether the repair kit was complete when I bought the car. So, it was only today that I discovered the tube through which the sealant is supposed to flow into the tyre was missing. D'oh!

I ended up buying some tyre weld that afforded a temporary repair. Thankfully, I was in a petrol station and able to use their air to inflate the tyre and then limp to a local garage to get a repair or, as it turned out, two new rear tyres. Ouch!

Although I had the next to useless Audi issue sealant, had it worked, I would have still needed to inflate the tyre before being able to set off again.

My question is, do A2OC members know of an all in one solution that not only seals the tyre but inflates it should a similar thing happen again but this time when I am in the middle of nowhere?

My A2 is a 2003 TDI Sport that doesn't appear to have room for a space saver spare, never mind a full size one.

Thank you in anticipation.

Hi CWD
In addition to the can of tyre sealant your car should also have a small electric air compressor as this was supplied with all A2's as standard. The optional spacesaver wheel comes with a fold flat tyre installed and this needs inflating before use. Space in the boot is a bit tight but a standard dia wheel will just go in while the smaller dia spacesaver has room to spare.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike

Thank you for your help.

So, it would appear my original Audi compressor is also missing along with the tube to connect the sealant to the valve. Will have to investigate replacement cost.

Meanwhile, my local Audi dealer want £32 for a new bottle of sealant complete with the vital plastic tube.

I have used the tyre weld from halfords althought when i used it it reinflated the tyre. It uses the presure of the air to fix the hole by the foam gettin blown in to the hole.

You can also have a solution poured into all tyres that remains in a semi fluid state but when a hole forms it seals it permanently! I think it costs £60 for all 4 tyres and lasts a lifetime. I keep saying I will get this done but never got round to it and now lucky enough to have a car with the spacesaver.

Can't remember the company that does it but if you google you will find quite a few. Very popular with motorcyclists

Back