Defroster Flap Motor and service question

Blue Two

Hi folks, I've just got the little car back from Poole Audi and they said after investigating the knocking noise coming from the vicinity of the Climate control unit that there was a sporadic fault code which had come up defroster flap motor. The tech guy Kieran "carried out basic settings" which he said may help. Otherwise it is 7 hours labour to remove the dash and replace the motor - yikes! Has anyone else had this?

As I was at the dealer I bought a new oil filter, I've been running the car on Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel oil (5w 40) and it's done 8k since the last oil change. Is it time to change again or is 10k realistic running on this oil? I'm not really interested in going to long-life oils as oil is cheap and I can do the job myself.

Cheers

P.S. I thought the standard of service from Poole Audi was excellent

Last edited:
Ah, mine was a rythmic knocking, a bit like big tap dripping with a frequency of about a second. It went off when the a/c was turned on. The cost incidentally, was £755 for the job!

I've just been looking through the forum and most folk suggest that I need 5w 30 oil - oops.

Mine is more creaks and groans than a knocking noise.

I hope its nothing too serious :confused: can anyone shed some light on this?

no. You'll need to locate it.

Try taking out the centre tunnel cover and check the gearchange cables as they go through the firewall.

As far as the defroster motor is concerned, the answer is "you're not trying hard enough" to Poole, as they obviously don't know that you don't *need* to remove the dash for the job with the right tools and/or small hands. Again, it's been covered in detail on the German forum, along with a guide and pics. Here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=25626

Bret

Ah thanks for that - I'll use babelfish to translate when I get a moment.

Nice, I love this site....

Not read this article but if it relates to replacing components, I think access to much of the under dash climate control hardware is far easier on LHD cars and most things can be done with the dash in place. This is not the case on RHD cars.

Non invasive surgery which is worth a try -
Some club members have had success in freeing off the motorised flaps by giving them a good work out using the buttons on the climate panel. Another tip which worked on an A4 was to apply 12v to the motors. Apparently they normally work on a reduced voltage (5v) and the higher voltage gives the motors enough power to free the flaps off. I guess the tricky bit is finding an accessible bit of the wiring for each motor feed.
As a last resort, if you live within driving distance of the Manchester then contact Skipton 01 for a quote as he has a lot of experience in replacing A2 dashboards.

Cheers Spike

that, spike, is a very good point.

For me, the blower is directly behind my glovebox. So where is it in the RHD cars?

Bret

Back