Diagnostics tools wont connect to ecu

JIGSAW

Banned
I recently purchased my A2 with the understanding that faults were fixed , the car has had new brakes and major service but warning lights abs epc ect keep going off after about 10 miles and seems the dealer or any of the diagnostic tools the have plugged in will connect to the car, 4 in total now which none of which work, there was 2 little hand held ones and the others were like 14in lcd screens, which means theres got to be something amiss. has anyone had this before or is clued up and may have an answer as i was told by somebody else it could be a 5 min job or 2 days to solve why it wont connect so they can diagnose the fault code/s ive checked around myself even under the floor pans to see if anything looks amiss, damp ect but ive found nothing and input , advice will be appreciated as ive got to take to another garage monday or tuesday where they have another type of diagnostic tool unsure what but presume a VAG COM , thank god im not paying is all i can say

many thanks in advance Gary

I recently purchased my A2 with the understanding that faults were fixed , the car has had new brakes and major service but warning lights abs epc ect keep going off after about 10 miles and seems the dealer or any of the diagnostic tools the have plugged in will connect to the car, 4 in total now which none of which work, there was 2 little hand held ones and the others were like 14in lcd screens, which means theres got to be something amiss. has anyone had this before or is clued up and may have an answer as i was told by somebody else it could be a 5 min job or 2 days to solve why it wont connect so they can diagnose the fault code/s ive checked around myself even under the floor pans to see if anything looks amiss, damp ect but ive found nothing and input , advice will be appreciated as ive got to take to another garage monday or tuesday where they have another type of diagnostic tool unsure what but presume a VAG COM , thank god im not paying is all i can say

many thanks in advance Gary

There is a fuse that feeds the OBD socket, if that has blown no tools will work.

So check the fuse diagram (there is one on the "How To" index section)

My money is on that fuse being blown.

Steve B

Thanks steve B for the info and link , ive just taken a look see but seems fine to me , i was pondering if maybe one of the pins in the socket has been pushed back and planning to strip the trim in the morning and check plus have a good look through the fuse box and conections in the back of the fuse board myself.

thanks steve , i already trolled through the ross tech forum myself and came accross the radio one, plus googled many pages but did not find anything much about my problem.

my A2 is running the standard radio but i did find a couple of extra wires cable tie wrapped onto the oem loom near the radio plugs in the back of the radio and presumed some one had hads free or ipod set up in previously and has been removed

Thanks for your input Guys as appreciated

Gary

Will the scanner connect to any other units other than the engine management unit? Have you tried connecting to the CCCU or the climate control, for instance? Trying that will help to localise the source of the problem.

Cheers,

Tom

thanks timmus for your response but im not really sure to be hounest i did look over the guys shoulder a few times and remember seing him going into engine management on the black one which was about 4-6in wide 14-16in long with a printer real at top on the front like a cash register receipt , he kept going into differnt sections resetting thow i think as said something about turning engine off and restarting within 10 seconds but no idea as clue less when it comes to these gadgets

Gary

Will the scanner connect to any other units other than the engine management unit? Have you tried connecting to the CCCU or the climate control, for instance? Trying that will help to localise the source of the problem.

Cheers,

Tom
Found your post. Have similar problem I can connect to abs, airbags, hvac, instruments, central and thats all. My car doesnt not start. How to find why there is no communication with engine?

Back