Diesel won't start... your help, please.

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Did over 1,000 miles to Holland and back.... just got home and the car stalled. ( wasn't I lucky?) Wouldn't start..... left it over 2 hours..... it did start. Next day, it started.... went a short distance and turned off the engine... a few miutes later, it wouldn't start. Floored the throttle, turned it over for a good few seconds... it started. Next day, same thing happened, flooring the throttle did get it going. BUT, a couple of minutes later, the car simply conked out as I pulled up to some traffic lights... this time, it wouldn't start by any means. Three hours later, it restarted. HOWEVER, it ran rough and was quite smokey when decellerating/ accelerating. THEN, only a few miles on, it conked again when slowing down at a roundabout. I towed it home this time. A "Scangauge 11" device seems to brifly show "FRZD" as a fault code, but then says that no codes are detected? Any help, please, as to what is wrong?... Thanks, friends! ...( I recently purchased this car for reliability, so this has come as quite a shock!)

It could be a faulty crankshaft speed sensor. They tend to be affected by heat in the early stages of failure which ties in with the symptoms you describe.
With regard to reliability, your car is 8 years old so the odd sensor failure is not uncommon whether you run a Merc or an A2

Cheers Spike

diesel won't start

thank you for your replies..... car wouldn't start at all... garage with fantastic Snap-on diagnostic equipment found that it wasn't the crankshaft speed sensor. There was no signal from the throttle! By manipulating the brake pedal?, finally got it to accelerate! However, white smoke from the exhaust (lots of it, and quite "lumpy". Tomorrow, they are fitting a new fuel filter and taking it from there. Will keep you posted. ( it is always helpful to others who may have a similar problem in the future, and look through posts to find the answer!)

Diesel won't start

You know when you hear of people putting PETROL in a diesel car and you say to yourself "what an idiot!"..... well, that's me!.... 11:30 p.m., tired, travelling from Holland and nearing Birmingham on the M6.... used to petrol vehicles for 40 years! ....topped up with U.L.!!!.( it still ran for 60 miles, though!) Local garage is draining the tank, replacing fuel filter, adding injector cleaner and says to now fill up with Shell V-power diesel. I sure hope that I haven't caused any damage to the engine! I will put a big label with three "D's" inside the fuel filler flap... that's D for diesel, D for David and D for dopey!!! That is the end of the saga!....

Back