DIP STICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

crb1011

Has anyone worked out how to read the oil level on the dip stick. I find it very difficult even my Audi garage says they cant see the oil level. My oil light came on so put in just under 1/2 litre of oil. Think it took it just near the top of the dip stick difficult to see. Is there any rule for filling with oil, like wait till the light comes on then put some in?

thanks for that. [24]
just read the archive and it sounds like a big problem witht the dip stick design

well here we go gain. Oil levs fine but the oil lev light has come on again. Only had the sensor replaced 3 months ago looks like it back to the garage.
Anybody else having the same problems with the oil lev light coming on when it shouldnt

I had that problem but it cured itself. I called at the nearest dealer (Blackburn), due to the comic design of the dipstick, they couldnt tell if the oil needed topping up, so they put a litre in for safety. When I got home from that trip I asked my local Audi dealer to look, they said they had to remove a litre of oil. Some dipstick eh? The designer I mean, not the hardware.

sounds like its a common problem. When the oil lev light comes on I can get it to go out by just checking the oil lev. It then stays out for around 70 miles then comes back on. Lets hope Audi can solve the problem while still in warranty. May take out another year just to be on the safe side.

well low oil level light now resolved 1.5l of oil put in by dealer even though they said level was Ok when i took it in 3 weeks ago. Taking it back after 500 miles for another check the dealer will then check on oil consumption [24]

I had a very new A2 as my courtsy car this week while they fixed the electric windows on 1.6FSI.

It was a diesel and a noticed it had a 100% readable dipstick - the end was orange I think, rather than black. Will this dipstick work in a petrol A@, is it new?

If it is compatabile i expect my dealer will give me one for free becasue they've messed me around a lot recently.

just a note on this oil issue ,a real bone of contention with me as ive suffered first hand for ages.
ive never been able to check oil correctly since 03/2001 but because the only way is to keep trying the end broke off the dipstick and into the sump.
swung it as a breakage and under warranty they dropped the sump retreived the dipstick and refilled with new oil (extra cost).
This prompted a question to the service manager "how do you check a customers oil level is correct when all a2 users cant seem to get a reading ,...his reply was The oil is pre -measured by the oil supply machine at the workshops and taken as gospel no manual reading used in checks. The a2 dipstick is to Tits On a Boar....Of no F***ing use at all

so anyone else seen the dipstick with the orange tip? If anyone here has a 2005 A2 it would be nice to know what the dipstick is like.

BYW the courtesy A2 I drove also had a different bonet flap thing. rahter than being shiny and totally flat, is was more matt and had a grill effect.

I have a 2004 model, which has the orange tip dipstick.........makes it very easy to read.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

sounds like I need to get a new dip stick. mine is yellow in colour, well more like off yellow as i think its been affected by the hot oil over the years. Before I get one must make sure its orange in colour seems like this one is better

hmmm looks like it's only the diesels that have the decent orange tip dipstick.

:(

in all what?

you're saying all a2's have an orange tipped dipstick?

I'm not talking about the handle - the actual tip where you read the oil level was orange in the a2 diesel I tried. Most a2's have a black tip on an orange dipstick

No thanks - I want one of those dipsticks though!!!

Gonna call my dealer tomorrow and try to get one for free (he does owe me as it is) - thanks very much for the information - just what i needed to hear.

its great that Audi fixed the problem - though really everyone should have been offered a working dipstick to replace the faulty ones.

We had a 2002 petrol with an orange dipstick that could not be read, the 2005MY petrol that replaced it has a black dipstick which can be read - it looks the same apart from the colour.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back