Dip sticks

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
1.4 petrol.
What is it about the A2 dipsticks? When I got the car the end was broken off so got a new one from Audi. Checked the level this morning and there are stress cracks all round the end bit. Not even two year and I need another one!!!!

I find that with this excellent design Audi made (Yeah Right) at this time of the year can be very sentimental. I say this because as it gets colder the plastic end stiffens and those bends just do not help. Therefore, allow ten mins for the engine to cool after a drive then take a level reading.
Oh and be gentle with her...lol :D

1.4 petrol.
What is it about the A2 dipsticks? When I got the car the end was broken off so got a new one from Audi. Checked the level this morning and there are stress cracks all round the end bit. Not even two year and I need another one!!!!

I could be wrong but if any part supplied bought from Audi fails in the first two years they will replace the part free of charge, and even fit it too, again free of charge, so check your receipt and ask them if you're in time!
Cheers jeff

For reference 1.4TDi dipstick on eBay is currently £17+, I just bought one from Nottingham Audi for £9.97... I wonder how many plastic tips it takes to fill the sump...!?

I`ve given up on the dip stick and currently relying on the warning bleep as my guide, Not recommended... especially if the warning bleep fails,..

I think my petrol engine consumes about 1/2 a litre for every 2500, miles...

May be helpful for another petrol head as a bit of a guide..

Good luck, John..

Just tried to check the oil level on our 02 plate and the blummin' end has disappeared from the dipstick, I assume it's down in the sump somewhere?

Does anyone know how much oil is required to get it back to a normal level from the oil warning light coming on ??

Cheers

I dont know the exact amount but i would suggest putting around a half a litre in for the time being to be on the safe side. I would then buy a new dipstick - reasonably cheap as in the above posts, and then use it to add the correct measure. Dont worry about the broken end bit - it will sit nicely in the sump and not do any damage until the next oil change.

Ta
Dave
:)

Hi Dave,

I've put about 1/2 litre in and the OK sign has come back on the dash. Am currently looking on the net for a replacement dipstick.

Good result ! - there are many differing similar parts on the A2 and the dipstick is no exception. Please make sure that the new dipstick corresponds with your engine code.
http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a2-a2-eu-2002-11540-oil-container-oil-dipstick/
AMF and BHC engine codes show the same part number for the diptsick - the ANY is different.

This is the one for the AMF and BHC part number 8Z0 115 611E
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-O...427242?hash=item1ea7095baa:g:hwgAAOSwZVhWRcBQ

Ta
Dave
:)

Last edited:
I also had my dipstick end break off recently but this is now a minor worry.

I am in the middle of replacing the engine on my 1.4 TDI. I have a replacement from a Polo and thought I had swapped all the relevant bits until I noticed the oil level sensor. The Polo doesn't have this although the casting is essentially the same on the front of the engine as on the Audi but they haven't bored the holes for the sensor and mounting bolt. Of course I have only seen this after changing the cambelt etc. and in any case I don't think I can get the toothed wheel on the crankshaft off. How tight is that?The casting is behind this wheel.
So firstly, has the Polo 9N an oil level sensor, it seems not but if so where is it? Secondly could I just continue and not bother with the sensor or bridge the terminals so it doesn't operate the alarm and warning light? ( is this going to happen?) Or another possibility is to drill a bolt mounting hole for the sensor, fit the engine see if it works and if I have an issue with warning lights and buzzers, I could take off the sump and drill a hole fr the sensor from below. Is this a stupid plan? I'm not sure which is the best and or quickest route. Can anyone advise?
Also am I just stupid but if I want to start a new thread, for example to discuss this sensor issue, where do I find the link to do this. I have had this problem before on the site ( although not always) and have had to give up.
Thanks

Ref this post, you will get some form of alarm - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...imate-to-fit-a-tdi-engine&p=229680#post229680. I'm not sure if there is additional 'logic' built into the low level sensor so bridging the wires may not be the solution.

Not done it but thought the sump can be removed without disturbing the crank pulley

Cheers Spike

PS. For posting new thread, Click on 'Forum' then select the appropriate category and click on the new topic button (top left)

Last edited:
I repaired my broken dip-stick.

1083 (Medium).JPG

1087 (Medium).JPG

It didn't take too long and it's a good feeling to fix it yourself. The only problem is that I don't know where to put the "max/min" marks on the new insertion plate!

David

I repaired my broken dip-stick.

View attachment 21891

View attachment 21892

It didn't take too long and it's a good feeling to fix it yourself. The only problem is that I don't know where to put the "max/min" marks on the new insertion plate!

David

I did this before the plastic **** stick broke so I could copy the max and min marks before I removed the plastic ****.

Perhaps someone could be so kind and measure their measuring stick, or I will do it at some point.

I did this before the plastic **** stick broke so I could copy the max and min marks before I removed the plastic ****.

Perhaps someone could be so kind and measure their measuring stick, or I will do it at some point.

Yes, that would be appreciated .... At least I can see the oil appearing somewhere on the flat plastic strip! (so I know that I'm roughly in range)

David

Back